Fire At Batu Caves Factory Leaves Strange Smell Affecting Residents In Various Parts Of KL

Residents in some Kuala Lumpur areas were puzzled by the strange smell last night, 21 April, and took to social media to find an answer.

Cover image via Pasukan Bomba Sukarela Gombak (Facebook)

Subscribe to our Telegram channel for our latest stories and breaking news.

A strange stench that could be smelled by residents in Mont Kiara, TTDI, and Kepong last night, 21 April, came from a fire outbreak at a factory in Batu Caves, Selangor

According to multiple tweets and residents of several areas in Kuala Lumpur, the smell was described as "unpleasant" and "super weird".

Some netizens even urged others to close their windows and "do not breath the air so much" as it was rumoured that a chemical factory was on fire.

In a widely circulated notice, it is said that the Fire and Rescue Department in Sri Hartamas received a report about the strange smell around 10pm yesterday.

The author of the notice claimed that fire came from a "chemical plant or storage".

However, after contacting a few Fire and Rescue Departments in the district, SAYS learnt that the factory is not a chemical plant, but a food factory

According to The Star, Selangor Fire and Rescue Department assistant director (operations) Hafisham Mohd Noor also rubbished the claim that the fire came from a chemical plant.

He said about 40% of the food processing building caught on fire.

The Rakyat Post quoted sources as saying that while the smell was unpleasant, firefighters assured the public that it is not dangerous and that there is nothing to be worried about.

In a Facebook post published last night, Gombak Volunteer Fire Brigade said that the factory is located in Dolomite Industrial Park

The Fire and Rescue Department in the area received a distress call at 9.50pm and firefighters arrived at the scene at 9.58pm.

Hafisham said that a total of four fire engines, two water tankers with 35 personnel from Selayang, Rawang, and Seri Hartamas fire stations as well as the Gombak Volunteer Firemen were dispatched to the scene.

More photos of the incident here:

If you ever witness a fire, you only have a small window of opportunity to take action:

Last week, a family in Subang Jaya, Selangor lost all their possessions in their house after an air conditioner sparked a fire:

You may be interested in: