Grieving Mum Forgives School Bus Driver Who Accidentally Ran Over Her Toddler In Sepang

"I can't blame the bus driver," the 37-year-old mother said, adding, "We have to accept what had happened and cannot take vengeance upon him."

Cover image via New Straits Times

Subscribe to our Telegram channel for our latest stories and breaking news.

A 37-year-old mother, whose toddler daughter died after she was accidentally run over by a school bus in front of her house, says that she does not blame the driver and has accepted the tragedy as fate

"My husband and I have accepted the fact that our daughter is gone," Zainab Mohideen Abdul Kadar said, hoping that the police will not take any legal action against the 50-year-old bus driver.

We harbour no ill feelings towards the school bus driver.

On Thursday, 26 May, the toddler was fatally run over by the driver in Taman Anggerik, Bandar Baru Salak Tinggi in Sepang. She was running after her sister, who came out of the house to board the school bus.

The bus driver, who was arrested on Friday, 27 May, has been released on police bail after he gave his statement. The case is being investigated under Section 41 (1) of the Road Transport Act 1987.

A grief-stricken Zainab said that while she's devastated, she understands that the driver did not intend to crash into her daughter

"I haven't met the driver, because he is still traumatised by what had happened. He has called me and apologised for what happened and I forgive him. I can't blame the driver. Even when the family's statement was recorded by the police, I told the police that this driver was not to be harmed. I have no revenge against this driver, he has been a bus driver for about 25 years," Berita Harian quoted her as saying.

"My husband and I have no problem with the driver. We have to accept what had happened and cannot take vengeance upon him," she said, adding that he is also not well-off and his bus has been seized.

The school bus that was involved in the fatal accident.

Image via Bernama

Zainab and her husband were at work and their children were being looked after by her mother-in-law on the day of the tragic incident

The victim's third sister 13-year-old Nurul Aishah Mohamad Kassim, who witnessed the accident, said she was on the steps of the bus, giving pocket money to the victim's fifth sister, who was already on the bus.

After having given the money to the victim's fifth sister, Nurul got off the bus. That's when she noticed that the victim, Zahida, was already under the bus as it started to move.

"I kept shouting and pulled out my sister because I was afraid that Zahida would be run over a second time, by the rear tire of the bus. My grandmother and our neighbours who heard my screams came out and asked what happened and one of the neighbours helped us to bring Zahida to a nearby clinic," she said.

The 50-year-old bus driver apologised ceaselessly to the victim's grandmother, saying that he had not realised that Zahida was there

"He said he did not realise that Zahida was on the left side of the bus, underneath," Nurul said, adding that after he apologised, her grandma told him to send the other students to school before it was too late.

"He did as told and later came to the house to ask about Zahida's condition. He apologised once again, saying he did not see Zahida and the incident was not intentional. My mother reassured him that it was okay and that she did not blame the driver or me. We both did not notice Zahida coming out of the house."

According to Nurul, Zahida was loved by everyone.

"I was close with Zahida, she liked to follow me wherever I went," the 13-year-old added.

The grieving mother holding her phone to show a photo of Zahida.

Image via Noor Atiqah Sulaiman/New Straits Times

Meanwhile, a 36-year-old was shot dead in front of his family in Kedah. A member of a triad organisation, he had recently become its leader: