news

Idris Jusoh Issues Clarification Over 13 UPNM Students Allowed To Resume Their Studies

The Minister's previous statement caused confusion among the media and public.

Cover image via Malaysiakini

Higher Education Minister Idris Jusoh on Saturday, 17 June, issued a clarification over his previous statements about allowing 13 UPNM students to resume their studies

According to a report in Bernama, the Higher Education Minister clarified that the 13 UPNM students allowed to continue their education were released on court bond and were NOT subjected to any charge in the murder case of Navy cadet Zulfarhan.

In his statement, the Higher Education Minister said the confusion arose as there were two groups of 13 students

The confusion among the public regarding the matter arose as there were two groups of students that he had mentioned previously, Bernama quoted Idris as saying.

Idris was quoted by Bernama, saying:

"The first group were the ones charged under the Penal Code. They were granted temporary bail while waiting for trial. These students have been suspended from the university and the management is processing their suspension.

"The second group of students are those who have been released on a court bond and were not charged by the authorities. These are the students who were granted permission to pursue their education."

Image via Malaysiakini

The Higher Education Minister added that these 13 students, who were not charged in the case and would serve as witnesses, will be given psychological support

Other related stories from Zulfarhan's case on SAYS: