YTL Launches Investigation After Yes Phone Catches On Fire During Student's Online Class
A woman recently went viral after she posted about her nephew's phone that caught on fire during an online class
On 15 June, the woman, who wishes to remain anonymous, wrote, "It's already burnt. Thank god we were home. If not, our house would have caught on fire. My nephew was sitting for his online class using the Yes handphone. Then it suddenly caught on fire. He just got it and it's been less than a month. Feels sad. To Yes, please take some responsibility."
The post garnered over 2,100 comments and 4,700 shares.
The phone model is Yes Altitude 3 and its purchase was subsidised by the Jaringan Prihatin programme launched by the government
Jaringan Prihatin is meant to alleviate the B40 group's financial burden in accessing Internet services.
Under the programme, those eligible will be given a RM300 subsidy to purchase a device or a RM180 rebate for a data plan for a period of 12 months.
Individuals are also allowed to use their own money on top of the RM300 subsidy if they would like to purchase a more expensive device.
The woman told Malaysiakini that her husband helped their nephew apply for a device under the Jaringan Prihatin programme, but decided not to purchase an expensive device after taking their finances into consideration.
"We applied for a smartphone for him because the laptop he uses is old and slow," she said.
However, she noted that the phone heats up quickly and the battery does not last long.
Following the incident, YTL Communications has decided to launch an investigation into the matter
YTL Communications chief executive officer (CEO) Wing K Lee told Malaysiakini that they are taking the reported incident very seriously as the safety of their products and users is of paramount importance, and they will investigate the matter fully.
He said that as soon as they were alerted about the issue, the company reached out to the woman but they were asked to contact the student's father instead.
"At this time, we are still unable to contact him or receive any communication from the woman. We will continue to try to contact the customer," he added.