Maintenance Worker Jailed 12 Days & Fined RM10,000 For Blocking Taib Mahmud's Convoy

Tun Pehin Sri Abdul Taib Mahmud is the current Yang di-Pertua Negeri of Sarawak.

Cover image via Malay Mail & The Borneo Post

Subscribe to our Telegram channel for our latest stories and breaking news.

Editor's note: The article has been updated to correct a technical error.

On Tuesday, 10 May, a maintenance worker in Kuala Lumpur was jailed for 12 days and slapped with a fine of RM10,000 for refusing to give way to Tun Pehin Sri Abdul Taib Mahmud's escort before driving away

Taib Mahmud is the current Yang di-Pertua Negeri of Sarawak.

The incident happened on the night of 6 May during which Taib Mahmud's VIP convoy, escorted by police outriders, was blocked by the man driving a yellow Honda Civic in an allegedly reckless manner.

The Honda Civic was allegedly speeding and overtook the VIP convoy through the emergency lane on the left side of the road and ignored one of the outriders' signals to stay clear from the convoy route.

A police report was lodged and the driver was arrested the next day.

He was remanded for four days until yesterday when he was brought to two separate Magistrates' Courts in Kuala Lumpur to face charges under Section 186 of the Penal Code for obstructing a public servant in the performance of duties and Section 42 (1) of the Road Transport Act 1987 for reckless driving.

At the first Magistrates' Court, he was sentenced to seven days in jail and fined RM3,000 after he pleaded guilty to blocking the VIP convoy

Magistrate Aina Azahra Arifin fined the 36-year-old RM3,000 in default of three months in jail after he pleaded guilty to obstructing Lance Corporal Mohd Azwar Iqbal Chinang from carrying out his duty while escorting the Yang di-Pertua Negeri of Sarawak at 11.30pm along the Sultan Iskandar Highway.

At the second court, Magistrate Amanina Mohamad Anuar sentenced him to five days in jail and fined him RM7,000 in default of five months in jail after he pleaded guilty to driving in a reckless manner.

The accused, Erdy Errwan Hamdan, was ordered to serve the seven-day jail sentence from the date of his arrest on 7 May and the five-day jail sentence to run from yesterday, 10 May.

Meanwhile, his driving licence was suspended for five years.

Erdy Errwan, who was unrepresented, had appealed for leniency

The 36-year-old said that he earns about RM1,700 a month to support his wife and two children, aged six and three, apart from his father who recently passed away, according to Utusan Malaysia.

However, deputy public prosecutor Nurilya Ellyna Norazman and prosecuting officer inspector Abdullah Khazali applied for appropriate punishment to teach a lesson to the accused and the community.

Image via Malay Mail

Prior to this, two police outriders escorted Baling member of parliament (MP) Datuk Seri Abdul Azeez Abdul Rahim's son in Penang:

In March, an ambulance was stopped by two traffic officers to give way to Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob's convoy in Johor:

In February this year, police outriders caused an accident in order to block motorists to give way to a very important person's convoy:

In December, the Prime Minister's convoy was given priority to cross a junction even though an ambulance with its siren on was at the scene:

You may be interested in: