Health director-general Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah just announced that there are 140 new COVID-19 cases today, 31 March
During the press conference announcing the daily COVID-19 updates, he said that this brings the number of cases in Malaysia to a total of 2,766.
94 patients are currently receiving treatment in Intensive Care Units around the nation, with 60 of them requiring breathing assistance.
Malaysia recorded six new deaths, bringing the total of coronavirus-related deaths in the country to 43
Dr Noor Hisham said the mortality rate is 1.55% of the total number of COVID-19 cases in the country.
He added that statistics show the two most common age groups to be infected by the virus are those aged 26 to 30, and those aged 56 to 60.
The latest six deaths today are:
- A 48-year-old Malaysian woman with high blood pressure. She was a close contact of a previous case and was being treated at Tuanku Ja'afar Hospital in Seremban since 25 March. She passed away around 4pm yesterday, 30 March.
- A 69-year-old Malaysian man with diabetes and high blood pressure. He had a history of travelling to Saudi Arabia. He passed away on 27 March.
- A 40-year-old Malaysian man who has a medical history of diabetes and high blood pressure. He was being treated at Enche' Besar Hajjah Khalsom Hospital, Johor. He passed away on 26 March.
- A 40-year-old Indonesian man who was being treated at Sarawak General Hospital since 20 March but passed away at 1am today, 31 March.
- An 81-year-old Malaysian man who has a medical history of heart disease and was being treated at University Malaya Medical Centre (UMMC) since 27 March passed away at 7am today.
- A 73-year-old Malaysian man with diabetes and heart disease. He was being treated at Tengku Ampuan Rahimah Hospital, Klang since 29 March and passed away at 4.30pm on 30 March.
On the other hand, 58 people have fully recovered within the past day
A total of 537 patients have been discharged from hospitals since the disease was first identified in Malaysia.
Read more COVID-19 stories on SAYS: