Family Mourns Over Malaysian Teenager Who Died Tragically While Skateboarding In Australia

His sister has since took to Instagram to share heartbreaking posts about her late brother.

Cover image via GoFundMe & 9News

A Malaysian teenager was killed in a skateboarding accident while on holiday in Queensland, Australia, on Saturday, 28 December

According to New Straits Times, Mohammad Farhan Fudhail Mohammad Farid from Kuantan, Pahang had been skateboarding downhill in Jezzine Barracks, Townsvile when he slammed into a roadside pole.

The 16-year-old, who had been wearing a safety helmet, was in critical condition when paramedics arrived at the scene.

It was reported by 9News that paramedics gave first aid but the boy died a short time later.

Image via 9News
Image via 9News

Farhan, fondly known as Shabby, was said to have never played the sport before

His grand-uncle, Azahari Hassan, told Bernama that Shabby had just received the skateboard as a gift a few days before the incident.

The deceased and his sister stayed with their grandmother in Kuantan and went to school there, while their mother worked as a nurse in Australia.

"It was common for them to visit their mother on school holidays... they used to study there so they have many friends over there," Azahari explained.

Image via Bernama

Azahari also described the incident as a double loss for the family as they had just lost their grandfather in November

"Shabby was a good and hardworking boy. He never once raised his voice to his grandparents. He spent most of his time at home and only occasionally went out for a jog," he said.

Azahari said he was informed that Shabby would be buried near his grandfather at the Setali Muslim Cemetery in Kuantan, but he did not know when the body would arrive.

Image via Bernama

Wisma Putra and the High Commission of Malaysia in Canberra is said to be handling the repatriation of Farhan's body

"The victim's mother is still waiting for the post-mortem results, and the body is expected to be brought back to Malaysia via Malaysia Airlines flight," said Foreign Ministry secretary-general Datuk Seri Muhammad Shahrul Ikram Yaakob when contacted by Bernama yesterday, 29 December.

However, according to Free Malaysia Today, Farhan's mother, Furhzunatul Natasha Mohd Sazali, said that Wisma Putra had yet to contact her yesterday evening, more than 24 hours after Farhan's death.

"Until now, no one from Wisma Putra has contacted me... except for my communication with a Malaysian High Commission officer who said there were several procedures which need to be followed.

"She also mentioned a fund that was insufficient," said the anxious mother.

Since then, a crowdfunding initiative called 'Farhan's Way Home' was started by an aunt of Farhan's to help with the repatriation process

"My brother and sister-in-law not only have to bear the grief of losing a son, but also finding finance in having to send their son's body back home to Malaysia," wrote the fundraising organiser, Rosalyn Perry, on the GoFundMe page.

"So I ask, to all my family and friends please share and donate to help get my nephew back home so he can be laid to rest."

As of writing, donations have already surpassed the AUD10,000 (RM28,700) goal, with 195 donors raising AUD11,493 (RM33,000) in less than 20 hours.

Image via GoFundMe

Meanwhile, Farhan's sister, Farranazatul Fiqa, took to Instagram to share about the heartbreak of their loss

In a post, the 15-year-old wrote, "I honestly have no idea how I'm going to face the rest of my life without you. What happened to growing up together? And you living next door to me so you could see me every day?"

"What happened to you wanting to be a fun uncle to my kids? What happened to you wanting to take care of your little sister?"

Read more recent news on SAYS:

You may be interested in: