Man Spotted With Pink Tag In Restaurant Explains That He Was Just Going To Hospital

He was spotted at a restaurant in Klang at 9am on Wednesday, 22 July.

Cover image via Utusan Malaysia & The Rakyat Post

A man was suspected to have breached home quarantine after he was spotted sitting in an eatery in Sungai Udang, Klang, while wearing a pink tag on his left wrist

A photo of him circulated on social media along with a warning that he was a restaurant worker who continued going to work despite the pink wristband indicating that he should be under home quarantine for 14 days.

Utusan Malaysia reported that he was at a restaurant opposite the Amazing Height apartments at 9am on Wednesday, 22 July.

Image via Utusan Malaysia

However, it has since been clarified that the man had completed his 14-day quarantine and was waiting for a friend at the restaurant to bring him to the hospital for his check-up

According to Malay Mail, Klang Municipal Council (MPK) enforcement officers visited the premise yesterday to take statements from the restaurant's other employees.

One of the staff, Mohamad Khaled Habib, explained that the man is the restaurant's new employee who had just arrived from India two weeks ago.

"The man said that he arrived in Malaysia 14 days ago from India to work at this restaurant and today is the last day he needs to be quarantined," said Mohamad Khaled.

He had asked the man to not sit in their restaurant to wait but the man refused to leave.

"I forbade him to sit here but he did not want to follow my instructions. He said he was waiting for a friend to take him to Tengku Ampuan Rahimah Hospital (HTAR)."

Mohamad Khaled added that the man was at the restaurant for about 10 minutes before leaving with his friend.

Image for illustration purposes only.

Image via Hari Anggara/Malay Mail

South Klang district police chief Assistant Commissioner Shamsul Amar Ramli has since confirmed the employee's story

The police also received a report from the public regarding a man wearing a pink COVID-19 quarantine wristband at the restaurant but by the time the team arrived, the man had left, said Shamsul Amar.

They found that the 55-year-old man had an address in Setapak, Kuala Lumpur and was to undergo a quarantine period at home from 9 July to 22 July after arriving from India.

Further investigations found that the man went for his second COVID-19 screening test at Bandar Botanic Health Clinic in Klang and had tested negative for the coronavirus.

However, for precautions, Shamsul Amar said the police had ordered the restaurant to close temporarily until further action.

The authorities are looking for a total of 63 individuals who were seen wearing the COVID-19 quarantine tag in public:

A woman caught violating home quarantine in Ipoh had tested positive for COVID-19:

The government has decided to forgo home quarantine and reimpose quarantine in designated hotels and centres beginning 24 July:

You may be interested in: