Maria Chin Got A Death Note With A Bullet But They Got Her Name Wrong

She found the envelope bearing the death threat yesterday, 29 November.

Cover image via Malaysiakini

Just days after being released from solitary confinement, Maria discovered that she has been issued a death threat.

The Bersih leader found an envelope that had a bullet in it when she was checking her mail at home.

When checking her mail, she found an envelope and to her shock it contained a bullet (.45 Automatic round) along with a paper which read, "Last warning if not RIP Marina [sic] & family."

Maria said that she found the envelope on Tuesday morning, 29 November. Malaysiakini reported that Maria believes the envelope must have hand-delivered to her house on the day she was arrested, 18 November, the day before the Bersih 5 rally.

Referring to how her name has been misspelled in the death threat note, Maria jokingly said, "They always do" adding that "they got the wrong person".

"This kind of act should be condemned and the person who did this should be put in jail.

"I hope that some action would be taken by the police to arrest the person who sent this threat," said Maria, as reported by Malaysiakini, yesterday, 29 November.

Image via NST

This bullet in mail is not the first death threat Maria has received. It was reported that her first death threat was when she received a doctored image of a hooded man holding a knife in one hand and the other holding on to Maria.

Her second death threat came in the form of photos that was sent to her mobile phone on 11 November. It was targeted at Maria, her three young sons, lawyer Ambiga Sreenivasan and Bersih secretariat member Mandeep Singh who were threatened with decapitation.

Maria also explained that she was not able to lodge a police report right after discovering the bullet mail as she had to rush to the court for her case.

The charismatic leader also mentioned that she hasn't gotten any updates from the police regarding her first two death threats.

Maria told the reporters after the hearing of her habeas corpus application at the High Court yesterday, 29 November that sending death threats is uncalled for as the Bersih rally went on peacefully and nothing went wrong.

"I think it is disgusting and horrendous for people to stoop so low, to do this kind of thing to me and to my family. It is not necessary.

"After all, the (Bersih 5) rally was so peaceful - no rioting, no damages, no bloodshed. We were all peaceful and we have always been peaceful.

"There is no need for this," said Maria, as reported by Malaysiakini.

She also took the opportunity to speak about her living conditions as a detainee under the SOSMA act.

Maria was forced to wear handcuffs and black goggles every time she left her cell, and the lights in her room were indeed switched on the whole day.

"There’s no airwell or any such opening in the room. I asked for three things: a lawyer, to see my family, and my Quran at home. They could not give me my Quran, but offered an alternative.

"My lawyer and family were refused visits. They gave a lot of excuses, but I do know that they have family visits every Sunday," said Maria. She also revealed how she was not allowed any family visits on the second Sunday from when she was detained.

"The room is completely sealed, so you don’t know whether it is morning or night when you wake up," revealed Maria, as reported by Free Malaysia Today on 29 November.

Watch Free Malaysia Today's video of Maria talking about the death threat and detention under SOSMA:

Maria was arrested on 18 November, the eve of the Bersih 5 rally under SOSMA for suspected involvement in activities that are detrimental to public order and security:

Interestingly enough, the Bersih 5 rally went on without any glitches or rioting:

You may be interested in: