Sole Survivor Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Has Been Discharged After 3 Weeks Of Treatment

Nor Aqilah Mohd Safwan lost her twin sister and two friends to carbon monoxide poisoning after the group spent four hours sleeping in a vehicle last month.

Cover image via Bernama via New Straits Times & China Press Penang

The sole survivor of the carbon monoxide poisoning that killed three at a petrol station in Penang last month has been discharged from the hospital yesterday, 6 October

21-year-old Nor Aqilah Mohd Safwan was allowed to be discharged after an examination by a doctor found that she is in good condition, said Seberang Perai Tengah district police chief ACP Shafee Abd Samad.

"Nor Aqilah went to the eye clinic to have her eyes checked today, 6 October. The doctor, who attended to her, said her sight has improved. However, she still needs medication and follow-up sessions," New Straits Times quoted Shafee as saying.

"Also, she no longer needs physiotherapy as she is able to walk normally."

According to Bernama, the police will be taking Nor Aqilah’s statement in the near future to complete the investigation paper on the incident, which is currently classified as sudden death.

Previously, Nor Aqilah had spent almost three weeks in the hospital and was even put into an induced coma for recovery

She was first rushed to a hospital in Penang after she was discovered unconscious in the car where she, her twin sister, and her friends were taking a nap.

Seeing that Nor Aqilah needed better treatment, the doctors transferred her to the Tuanku Mizan Military Hospital in Kuala Lumpur to be placed under hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT), a medically induced coma used to treat carbon monoxide poisoning, on the same day, 16 September.

After spending about eight days in the temporary coma, she woke up and gave her family members a nod to signify she recognised them.

Image of an HBOT treatment device used for illustration purposes only.

Image via Wound Care Advantage

She was only told about the deaths of her sister and her friends six days after she regained consciousness

Upon her waking, she could only utter a few words and was put on a porridge diet.

Nor Aqilah lost her twin sister, Nor Adilah Mohd Safwan, and two friends, Sharifah Fariesha Syed Fathi and Ayuni Shazwanie Shabri.

They were all 21 years old, waiting for their convocation after completing their studies in pharmacy.

Three of them died of carbon monoxide poisoning after sleeping in a Honda Odyssey with the engine on and windows fully rolled up at the petrol station for four hours.

The group was discovered by one of the victim's fathers after he grew worried that his daughter had not returned home for hours:

Nor Aqilah woke up from the induced coma on 24 September:

Read why you shouldn't sleep in your car: