11 Simple Things Najib Needs To Know About His Big Kangkung Mistake
Najib, responding to critics of his kangkung statement, justified that he was trying to explain the concept of supply and demand with examples like sawi and kangkung that are NOT subject to price control
"The example should not be ridiculed by anybody because I gave the example on the principle of supply and demand which decide the prices of some of the food commodities which are not subject to price controls," he said.thestar.com.my
Syed Akbar Ali, ex-MACC committee member and blogger, wrote on the same day, pleading Najib to read his blogpost because Najib 'doesn't understand things well'. This is what he has to say to 'Mr PM':
1. "Big mistake Mr PM. You really are being misled by your advisors and consultants."
2. "Mr PM please think. Why should the rakyat have to be thankful to you when the price of kangkung goes down?"
3. "You yourself said it. The price of kangkung is not dependent on you or your gomen."
As you rightly put it, kangkung price is subject to supply and demand. You yourself said it. The price of kangkung is not dependent on you or your gomen.
So why did you say that the rakyat should be thankful to you and your gomen when the price of kangkung goes down? You even said 'Ini tidak adil'.blogspot.com
5. "You accused the people, the rakyat, the citizens, the ordinary man in the street that they were not grateful to you and your gomen when the prices of kangkung went down."
6. "The people never blamed you for the up and down movement of kangkung prices. That is why people are making fun of you."
7. "The people are complaining about the prices that are determined by you Sir, Najib Tun Razak the Prime Minister of Malaysia. Here is a shortlist:"
8. "In Malaysia, market forces DO NOT determine the prices of the things on this list."
The price of rice has been rising because Bernas Bhd, a private company owned by Syed Mokhtar Al-Bukhary was given the monopoly right to import rice on behalf of rice-traders, making fat and easy profits while causing the price of these rice to rise. The same applies many other basic goods such as sugar.malaysiakini.com
Tenaga Nasional Bhd was forced by the BN government to purchase a majority of its electricity from independent power producer at prices significantly higher than what it could produce on its own, causing the tariffs to increase.malaysiakini.com
9. "No one mentioned kangkung. Who mentioned kangkung? You did. You mentioned an item that is NOT subject to price controls."
10. "Your point that "bila (harga kangkung) dah turun kenapa tak puji kerajaan" is completely out of place. It is an illogical statement."
11. "You are not managing things well."
53-year-old Syed Akbar Ali was appointed by Najib in 2011 to sit in the Advisory Panel of the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC)