Police have arrested two owners of a beauty salon in Cheras, Kuala Lumpur on Sunday, 18 October, over the death of a 23-year-old client
According to The Star, Kuala Lumpur police chief DCP Datuk Saiful Azly Kamaruddin said the suspects, who are a mother and daughter pair, have been detained to assist in the investigation of a customer who passed away while under a fat reduction procedure at their centre.
The police chief told a press conference at the Sentul police headquarters today, 19 October, that the victim lost consciousness after being injected on the arm.
"The victim was rushed to a nearby hospital and died soon after. We are still ascertaining the cause of death," he said.
Although the post-mortem examination of the victim has been done, toxicology results have yet to return to determine her cause of death
Saiful Azly added that the beauty salon did have a business licence but the beauticians themselves did not have medical licences to conduct any invasive cosmetic procedures.
According to China Press, the beautician told the police that she had explained to the client, who came to her for an arm liposuction procedure in preparation for her wedding, that she was not a professional but the latter said to continue on with the procedure.
The 49-year-old and 23-year-old suspects will be kept in remand for three days
The case is being investigated under Section 304 of the Penal Code for causing death by negligence, not amounting to culpable homicide.
Meanwhile, the Malaysian Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (MSPRS) are reminding the public that beauticians are not allowed and are not qualified to perform any medical or surgical procedures
The society of plastic surgeons, part of the Aesthetic Public Awareness Campaign (APAC) Joint Committee, posted a statement on Facebook warning of unscrupulous beauty centres and 'medispas' that are becoming more common and who often promote themselves on social media.
"They may disguise themselves as medical doctors or use fancy medical terms to entice their clients to do the procedures," warned the committee, adding that these centres or individuals will offer a remarkably lower price for its procedures than licensed medical clinics or hospitals.
"Higher complication rates and even death have been reported in these unlicensed practices," it reminded.
"It is crucial to check on the invasiveness, risk involved, premise license, and service provider qualification before undergoing any aesthetic procedure."
It urged the public to the check the Ministry of Health's medical practitioner registry for if their practitioners are licensed to offer medical aesthetic services in the future.
The 23-year-old bride-to-be died after finding the Cheras beauty salon on the Internet and paid RM2,500 for her liposuction procedure: