Developer says there will be a month's delay in completion of second Penang bridge
The completion date of the RM4.3 billion Second Penang Bridge will likely be pushed back by one month from September to October following the ramp collapse incident last Thursday.malaysiandigest.com
JKSB construction director Mohd Ashari Alias said Tuesday, "we could face the possibility of delay in the completion of the whole project but we will work hard to make up for lost time".thestar.com.my
He said the ramp which collapsed was Ramp Two linking Batu Maung to the bridge but work on the remaining three ramps had also stopped since last week.malaysiandigest.com
"We can only resume work after DOSH has completed its investigation on Ramp Two," he said. The police had handed over investigations to the Department of Occupational Health and Safety (DOSH) and it was reported that DOSH might need about a month to complete their probe.thestar.com.my
Victims family will file suit against project developer
THE family of the Second Penang Bridge ramp collapse victim Tajudin Zainal Abidin plans to take legal action against project developer Jambatan Kedua Sdn Bhd (JKSB) and contractor Cergas Murni Sdn Bhd.malaysiandigest.com
The victim's brother-in-law Saiful Ramli said: "We will file a suit against the project developer and the contractor as soon as possible. "Our task now is to identify a suitable lawyer to represent us."nst.com.my
When contacted yesterday, he said the victim's family would consider filing the suit either in Penang or Kuala Lumpur, as JKSB's headquarters was in Kuala Lumpur.
Khairul Anwar said the RM10,000 initial compensation from JKSB was not justified to cover the loss of a life.malaysiandigest.com
The family is expected to take JKSB and Cergas Murni to court for being negligent at its Batu Maung Interchange project, which formed Package 3A of the 24km bridge.nst.com.my
Department of Occupational Safety and Health says legal action will be taken
Court action will be taken against those responsible for the collapse of the ramp in Batu Maung connecting the second Penang Bridge.thestar.com.my
Penang Department of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH) director Mohd Anuar Embi said on Sunday the contractor could be charged under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) 1994 if he or she were found to have failed to adhere to the provision.thestar.com.my
Annuar added that the department has a month to carry out a probe at the site before presenting the findings to the Human Resources Ministry, said the Star.malaysia-chronicle.com
“We have started our investigations since Thursday, with the assistance of three forensics from Putrajaya, to identify the cause for the ramp collapse,” he told reporters here today.themalaysianinsider.com
The investigation would focus on the building design, the installation method, workers’ supervision, soil factor and the safety system that was used to see if there was any breach of the Occupational Safety and Health Act, he added.themalaysianinsider.com
Rescue search still ongoing for remaining survivors
The search and rescue operation for victims feared trapped under the rubble of the collapsed section of a ramp at the second Penang bridge has been called off.thestar.com.my
The decision to conclude the mission comes after emergency services personnel conclude that no bodies were trapped within the mess of metal and concrete.thesundaily.my
State deputy police chief Senior Asst Comm Datuk Abdul Rahim Jaafar said rescuers searched practically every part of the rubble with tracker dogs three times.
"There are no indicators of any victims or human body parts under the rubble.malaysiandigest.com
"We are satisfied and convinced by the search teams after four trekker dogs failed to find any victims under the rubble.
"The trekker dogs were taken to every part of the collapsed site and there were no traces of any survivors under the rubble,"malaysia-chronicle.com
Some 150 officers from the Jambatan Kedua Sdn Bhd contractor, Fire and Rescue Department and the police are present in the search and rescue operations.nst.com.my
The closure to SAR work now allows concessionaire Jambatan Kedua Sdn Bhd (JKSB) to clear the debris and to re-open the three-kilometre stretch to traffic after Thursday's collapse.malaysia-chronicle.com
Victim was on his way back home and brother-in-law of a JKSB staff
Nur Aina Syazwani, 11, the daughter of the late Tajudin Zainal Abidin, said her father called home at 6.30pm to ask what they wanted to have for dinner.thestar.com.my
"But by 8pm, he did not return home," said Syazwani. Tajudin's wife, Sharifah Ramli then went out to search for him. Sharifah refused to talk to the press.thestar.com.my
Bayan Baru MP Sim Tze Tzin added that she was almost sure something had happened to Tajudin after seeing pictures of a partial car number plate on the Internet. The body of Tajudin will be buried at the Kampung Perlis cemetery in Bukit Merah Saturday.thestar.com.my
Seorang pekerja Jambatan Kedua Sdn. Bhd. (JKSB) yang terlibat membantu pasukan penyelamat mengalihkan runtuhan konkrit tidak menyangka mangsa tragedi itu adalah abang iparnya sendiri.kosmo.com.my
Beliau yang ingin dikenali sebagai Boy berkata, beliau berada di tapak pembinaan itu semasa kejadian pada Khamis lalu. Menurut Boy, semasa kejadian abang iparnya dalam perjalanan dari mahkamah di George Town pulang ke rumahya di Kampung Pisang Emas, Permatang Damar Laut di Batu Maung.kosmo.com.my
"Arwah memberitahu ingin singgah di gerai makan di Seagate dekat sini lalu anaknya meminta arwah membeli apa-apa sahaja untuk makan malam," ujarnya ketika ditemui di Hospital Pulau Pinang (HPP) semalam.kosmo.com.my
A Facebooker's impression of Najib vs Guan Eng
Body of driver from crushed Kelisa removed from car
A police spokesman said a man had contacted the police after news that broken bits of the Perodua Kelisa car’s registration plate, PF and 347— which were incomplete, had been found.malaysiandigest.com
“The owner of the car said his brother was using his car and had been missing,” the officer said, declining to elaborate until the family is able to positively identify the body, still trapped inside the mangled car as rescuers worked to clear the rubble.malaysiandigest.com
The victim was found slumped over the dashboard, according to eyewitness at the scene.
A family member of the victim was also seen being called to the scene.thestar.com.my
Abdul Rahim said a search camera was used and detected an unmoving arm in the car lying crushed under tons of concrete and steel but no movement or response were detected.nst.com.my
Police may be able to unveil the identity of the driver of a Perodua Kelisa who was killed after his car was buried under the rubble of the collapsed ramp at the Second Penang Bridge.malaysiandigest.com
Polis mengenal pasti pemilik kereta jenis Perodua Kelisa yang terperangkap di dalam runtuhan akibat dihempap oleh tanjakan konkrit susur keluar Jambatan Kedua Pulau Pinang di Batu Maung di sini sebagai Rohaizad Md Sofar.relevansokmo.com
Guan Eng says rescue operation was a failure
The rescue operation at the collapsed ramp of the Second Penang Bridge is a failure and is now mere “clearing work”, said Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng.yahoo.com
“Last night we can see the extent of the operations where there are so many issues where even the crane broke down and hampered the rescue operation,” he said.yahoo.com
“We are not blaming the Fire and Rescue Department personnel or the police as they have done their part but this is an engineering problem as an engineer should have taken charge and provide an engineering solution to the rescue work,” he said at a press conference at the site.themalaysianinsider.com
He added that it was necessary to conduct a post mortem on the rescue work after the incident is over.
"The related authorities need to look into not just why the ramp collapsed but also the way the rescue work was done," he said.thestar.com.my
Lim also said that since the project is under the Federal Government, it will have to provide an explanation later.
"They have tried all rescue efforts but failed," he said.thestar.com.my
Collapsed section was built by local contractor
The section of the Second Penang Bridge that collapsed yesterday evening was the Batu Maung Interchange, a separate package from the main bridge, undertaken by local contractor Cergas Murni Sdn Bhd.themalaysianinsider.com
The company, which is registered with the Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) as a Class G7 contractor, was awarded the interchange project in 2010 and it took over site possession on May 19, 2010.yahoo.com
The RM152 million interchange project involves the construction of four directional ramps to form the Batu Maung Interchange to connect the existing Bayan Lepas Expressway to the Second Penang Bridge and marine main bridge.themalaysianinsider.com
The 24km-long second bridge was set for completion next month.
The longest bridge in South-East Asia and 20th in the world was supposed to go through road commissioning and testing in August before being officially opened in September.
Three injuries, four unconfirmed deaths and one crushed car
In yesterday’s incident, two foreign construction site workers and a female motorist were injured when the section of the ramp collapsed at about 7pm.yahoo.com
At the scene, some 250-300 personnel from the police, fire department, voluntary police brigades, St John's Ambulance, Red Crescent Society and construction workers.thestar.com.my
So far, the police confirmed only three injuries while last night’s figure of four dead has not been confirmed.abnxcess.com
This is because police have found one car crushed by the steel beams, but rescue workers have not been able to get to it to find out the number of people inside and whether they survived.abnxcess.com
Search teams are cutting through huge steel and concrete beams to get to a car crushed after an uncompleted ramp of a flyover connecting the still-under-construction second Penang bridge at Batu Maung collapsed at 7pm Thursday.thestar.com.my
Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng is seen at the site
It was the ramp, not the bridge, says spokesman as investigations are made
Jambatan Kedua Sdn Bhd (JKSB) public relations and communications department deputy manager Azizi Azizan confirmed that a section of Package 3A of the Second Penang Bridge project had collapsed. "That is the section connecting the bridge to the Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu Expressway."themalaysianinsider.com
The collapse of the interchange ramp of the Penang Second Bridge did not involve the bridge structure itself, said a Jambatan Kedua Sdn Bhd (JKSB) spokesman.thestar.com.my
It only involved the concrete ramp and steel girders in Package 3A at the exit passage from the bridge to the highway on the island part.thestar.com.my
Four people feared dead
Initial investigations revealed that all four people in the vehicle are believed to have been killed immediately. The collapsed section is a part of the flyover connecting the expressway to the bridge in between two concrete beams.themalaysianinsider.com
Police fear that four people are dead after one car, a white-coloured Perodua Kelisa was found buried under the rubble.thestar.com.my
R. Thilasheni, 24, whose car windscreen was shattered by a falling beam during the incident, was still in a state of shock.
"We were lucky to come out alive. We were only about three seconds away from when the ramp collapsed," she said.
30-metre wide ramp fell, one or two cars and a motorbike trapped under debris
Jabatan Bomba dan Penyelamat Malaysia di Pulau Pinang mengesahkan satu mayat telah ditemui di tempat kejadian runtuh struktur jambatan kedua Pulau Pinang.terbakor.com
A section of the second Penang bridge which is under construction at Batu Maung here collapsed at around 6.50pm.themalaysianinsider.com
The collapsed area is just about the width of the road at the stretch in front of the Motorola building.thestar.com.my
Eyewitnesses say one or two cars and a bike were buried, the rescue team of police and the fire department are there clearing debris now.thestar.com.my
Bayan Baru member of parliament Sim Tze Tzin, who was at the scene, said the rescue operation began at 8:30pm aided by about 50 volunteer firemen.nst.com.my
The earliest tweets were from Bayan Baru MP, Sim Tze Tzin
Penang 2nd Bridge collapsed. 30m span fell. Bomba told 1-2 cars under ruin. I m at site. Let's pray for the best. #fbtwitter.com
Penang second bridge just now. harap semua selamat pic.twitter.com/OrYp9mdSWetwitter.com
Hope ppl are safe as Penang second bridge kinda collapsed. Hope no one is hurttwitter.com
The second Penang bridge is supposed to be safe for the public this September 2013
The section of the Second Penang Bridge that collapsed yesterday evening was the Batu Maung Interchange, a separate package from the main bridge, undertaken by local contractor Cergas Murni Sdn Bhd.yahoo.com
The bridge, which is still under construction, is scheduled to be completed next month, and opened to the public in September.nst.com.my
The Penang Second Bridge (Malay: Jambatan Kedua Pulau Pinang) is a new bridge under construction in Penang, Malaysia. It will connect Batu Kawan on the mainland Seberang Perai and Batu Maung on Penang Island.wikipedia.org
The bridge will be built with a large loan from the People's Republic of China to continue and maintain the economic relationship between China and Malaysia .wikipedia.org
Why so many construction related freak accidents these few months?
An unused bridge after the ELITE Highway toll in Cyberjaya collapsed this afternoon at around 12.40pm, 28 February 2013. The first few pictures of the collapsed bridge surfaced on Twitter and Facebook, with rumours of it being an old report, but it was confirmed later on by news sources. [CLICK LINK FOR FULL STORY]says.com