Case Of Sepang Couple Killed In Bedroom Fire Is Now A Murder Investigation

One of the victims was found with burn marks on her face and waist in the master bedroom.

Cover image via New Straits Times/Bernama (Edited by SAYS)

Two National Registration Department (JPN) government servants were killed on Monday, 28 January, after a fire broke out in the bedroom of their single-storey terrace house in Taman Desa Vista, Sepang

The victims have been identified as 35-year-old Wan Mohd Baharul Nizam Wan Bakar and 28-year-old Norwahidah Abdul Hamid, reported New Straits Times.

The scene of the fire.

Image via Malay Mail/Bernama

A police motorcycle unit and fire fighters from Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) rushed to the scene following a distress call at 2pm.

District police chief Assistant Commissioner Abdul Aziz Ali said rescuers had to force open the fence and the sliding door as the house was locked from the inside.

"The male victim was found in the bathroom while the female victim was found on the bed, with burn marks on her face and waist, in the master bedroom," Abdul Aziz told New Straits Times.

However, police have now classified the case as a murder based on a preliminary post-mortem report

Selangor police CID chief SAC Fadzil Ahmat told Bernama that a preliminary post-mortem report on Norwahidah found injury marks on her head caused by a hard object.

"Based on this and the evidence obtained at the scene of the incident, the case has been reclassified as murder and is being investigated under Section 302 of the Penal Code," he explained.

28-year-old Norwahidah Abdul Hamid and 35-year-old Wan Mohd Baharul Nizam Wan Bakar.

Image via Astro Awani/Bernama

Investigations also found that the couple were not married, as previously reported, and had planned to get married this Friday (1 February).

"According to their neighbours, both of them had been staying at the house for six months," added Fadzil.

The Fire and Rescue Department is still carrying out investigations on the cause of the fire

Selangor Fire and Rescue Department director Azmi Osman told Bernama that the cause of the fire will only be known within three to four days or more.

"We need to carry out analytical investigation to determine how the fire had spread and this would take some time," he added.

The victims were laid to rest by their respective families yesterday, 30 January.

Read more #news on SAYS:

You may be interested in: