The Last Two Bodies From The Deadly Tanjung Bungah Landslide Have Been Found

The bodies were retrieved at around 7am today, 23 October.

Cover image via Bernama via NST

The search and rescue team has located the last two bodies from the landslide that happened in Tanjung Bungah on Saturday, 21 October

The search and rescue team at Lengkok Lembah Pantai, Tanjung Bungah, Penang.

Image via Bernama via NST

Malay Mail Online reported that the bodies were found at around 7am today, 23 October. 

The victims have been identified as Yuan Kouk Wern, the site supervisor and the sole Malaysian victim, and a Bangladeshi, Muhammad Monirul Islam. 

"We will need at least another hour to recover the body," State Secretary Datuk Seri Farizan Darus told New Straits Times (NST). 

"It is crushed by a steel pillar, so we are still unsure of the condition," he added.

The SAR team carrying the body of the ninth victim on Sunday, 22 October.

Image via Danial Saad/NST

On Sunday, 22 October, at 6.20pm, the search and rescue team (SAR), found the ninth victim, who was crushed by a large boulder. 

"The ninth victim was found near the seventh and the eighth victims, who were crushed by steel beams.

"That is why it is taking a long time for us to retrieve the bodies," explained Fire and Rescue Department assistant director-general (Operation and Rescue) Edwin Galan Teruki, as reported by NST

The SAR team have been working round the clock ever since the incident happened on Saturday morning. They found the first four victims on Saturday and the next five victims were retrieved on Sunday.

On Sunday, the Fire and Rescue Department revised the number of victims from 14 to 11, after confirming that three men escaped the landslide

It was also reported that the statements have been recorded from the three surviving workers, an Indonesian, a Bangladeshi, and a Myanmar national, who are still receiving treatment at the Penang Hospital. 

The authorities have yet to identify the cause of the construction site landslide as investigations are still ongoing. 

At about 8.30am on Saturday, tonnes of laterite earth came crashing down, trapping 11 people under the deadly rubble:

More news on SAYS:

You may be interested in: