Two workers are believed to have died from ammonia inhalation following a leak at an ice factory in Shah Alam at 5am today, 13 August
According to Malay Mail, Deputy Superintendent Azmel Kamarudin, the station chief of the Section 15 Shah Alam Fire and Rescue Department, said that the two dead workers are believed to be Indian nationals, although their identities are yet to be determined.
Their bodies have been sent to the Tengku Ampuan Rahimah Hospital (HTAR) in Klang.
Both workers are reported to have inhaled ammonia gas which had leaked from a tank they were storing during routine work
18 other workers were also reported to be injured from the leak and have been sent to nearby hospitals for treatment
The leak has since been contained, although residents within a three-kilometre radius were ordered to evacuate the area to avoid any further injuries
SJKC Chung Hwa, a Chinese school located nearby the ice factory was also told to close today for safety reasons.
According to New Straits Times, Selangor Menteri Besar Amirudin Shari mentioned that the state government has instructed the Shah Alam City Council (MBSA) and relevant quarters to take action to ensure the safety of the residents in the surrounding areas.
This is not the first time an ammonia gas leak has happened at this particular factory
Read more #news stories on SAYS: