Two Factory Workers Have Died Following An Ammonia Gas Leak In Shah Alam

The incident happened at 5am this morning.

Cover image via

Two workers are believed to have died from ammonia inhalation following a leak at an ice factory in Shah Alam at 5am today, 13 August

Image for illustration purposes only

Image via Video Blocks

According to Malay Mail, Deputy Superintendent Azmel Kamarudin, the station chief of the Section 15 Shah Alam Fire and Rescue Department, said that the two dead workers are believed to be Indian nationals, although their identities are yet to be determined.

Their bodies have been sent to the Tengku Ampuan Rahimah Hospital (HTAR) in Klang. 

Both workers are reported to have inhaled ammonia gas which had leaked from a tank they were storing during routine work

Image via The Sun Daily

According to Malaysiakini, firemen found that leak originated from one of the five machines in the factory. High ammonia content was found at 500 ppm (parts per million), compared to the normal reading of 50 ppm and below. 

18 other workers were also reported to be injured from the leak and have been sent to nearby hospitals for treatment

Image via Malay Mail

According to Bernama, the workers experienced breathing difficulties, vomiting, as well as eye irritation due to the high ammonia content in the air.

The leak has since been contained, although residents within a three-kilometre radius were ordered to evacuate the area to avoid any further injuries

Image for illustration purposes only

Image via Front Desk

SJKC Chung Hwa, a Chinese school located nearby the ice factory was also told to close today for safety reasons.

According to New Straits Times, Selangor Menteri Besar Amirudin Shari mentioned that the state government has instructed the Shah Alam City Council (MBSA) and relevant quarters to take action to ensure the safety of the residents in the surrounding areas.

This is not the first time an ammonia gas leak has happened at this particular factory

Kwong Wah reported that four workers were affected by the previous ammonia gas leak back in March this year.

Read more #news stories on SAYS:

You may be interested in: