Recently, a video surfaced on social media depicting a group of people beating up a man. It was alleged that the man in question was caught for kidnapping a child for "organ harvesting".
The incident is said to have happened in Taman Seri Krubong, Melaka.
The video, which was posted on a Facebook page called 'Deejay Nesh' on Tuesday, 3 January, has received more than 2 million views so far. The post has also accumulated more than 51,000 shares within three days.
Many other people have reposted this story on their own accounts.
Many netizens were very concerned with these allegations on child kidnapping for organ harvesting. They wanted more details on the incident so that the culprits involved would be brought to justice.
However, the police have refuted allegations that the man was involved in an abduction. Instead, it turns out that he was assaulted for molesting a child.
According to media reports, the man allegedly brought an eight-year-old girl, his own relative, to a nearby shop and molested her.
It is learnt that the girl then shared the incident with her family members about the behaviour of the man, claiming that her relative had caressed and kissed her.
The man was then confronted and assaulted by a group of people at a Krubong housing estate.
"This case is a family matter and not a case of kidnapping," Melaka Tengah OCPD Asst Comm Shaikh Abdul Adzis Shaikh Abdullah was quoted as saying by The Star.
According to Shaikh, the police has launched two investigations into the case
It was reported that that the police were conducting an investigation under Section 354 of the Penal Code for using criminal force with the intent of outraging modesty while conducting a separate investigation under Section 147 of the Penal Code for rioting.
Shaikh told the media that the authorities are taking this matter seriously as the man who was assaulted in the public sustained severe injuries which resulted in hospitalisation at the Malacca Hospital.
"No one has the right to go around hitting another person without concrete evidence," he was quoted as saying by The Star.
Do you think the public should have refrained from assaulting the man without any concrete evidence? Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below.