Here Are The Profiles Of The 13 New Ministers In The Pakatan Harapan Cabinet
There are quite a number of new faces in the Pakatan Harapan Cabinet
A total of 13 ministers and 23 deputy ministers took their oath of office, allegiance and secrecy before the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, Sultan Muhammad V, at Istana Negara yesterday, 2 July.
According to Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, three more ministers will be appointed into the Pakatan Harapan Cabinet after the individuals had been sworn in as senators, New Straits Times (NST) reported.
Prior to this, 13 ministers who were appointed earlier were sworn in on 21 May.
1. Dr A Xavier Jayakumar, 65 – Water, Land and Natural Resources Minister (PKR)
Dr A Xavier Jayakumar successfully made his bid for parliamentary seat after winning the Kuala Langat constituency in GE14. He previously served as the assemblyman for the now-defunct Seri Andalas seat for two terms.
• Bachelor in Dental Surgery, College of Dental Surgery, Manipal, India
• Former Malaysian Dental Association secretary
• Former committee member, vice-president, president of Malaysian Private Dental Practitioners Society
• 2007 to 2010: PKR deputy secretary
• 2008 to present: PKR Kota Raja Division head
• 2014 to present: PKR Vice-president
2. Baru Bian, 60 - Works Minister (PKR)
Baru Bian contested in the Limbang parliamentary seat in GE13 but lost to Parti Pesaka Bumiputera Bersatu's (PBB) Hasbi Habibollah. He secured his maiden parliamentary election win when he won the Selangau seat in GE14. He has been the state assemblyman for Ba'kelalan since April 2011.
According to Bernama, Baru Bian is the first person from the Lun Bawang community to be appointed as minister.
• Bachelor of Law from Melbourne University, Australia
• 1979 to 1981: Temporary teacher at Sekolah Menengah Kerajaan Medamit
• 1986: Admitted as Advocate & Solicitor of the High Court:
• 1987 to 1988: Legal assistant, Messrs Anthony Ting & Co, Kuching, Sarawak
• 1990: Partner, Messrs Anthony Ting, Baru Bian & Co, Kuching, Sarawak
• 1992 to present: Set up Messrs Baru Bian Advocates, Kuching, Sarawak
• 1987: Joined Parti Bansa Dayak Sarawak (PBDS)
• 1989 to 2000: Served various posts including Youth Exco member, vice-president, and publicity chief
• 2000 & 2003: Supreme Council member
• 2004: Resigned as PBDS Supreme Council member
• 2008: Joined PKR as an ordinary member
• November 2009: Appointed as Sarawak PKR chairperson
3. Ignatius Darell Leiking, 47 – International Trade and Industry Minister (WARISAN)
Darell Leiking whose ethnicity is Kadazan, is the son of a former assemblyman in Sabah. He first became Penampang MP after winning the seat during GE13, contesting under the PKR ticket then. In GE14, Darell contested under the Warisan ticket and successfully defended the seat.
• LLB Hons, University of Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
• Barrister-at-law from Lincoln's Inn in Britain
• Lawyer since 1994
• 2010 to 2014: PKR Division Chief for Penampang, PKR Deputy secretary-general
• 2016: Quit PKR to set up Parti Warisan Sabah
• 2016 to present: Deputy President of Parti Warisan Sabah
4. Khalid Abdul Samad, 61 – Federal Territories Minister (AMANAH)
Khalid Samad has been the Shah Alam MP since 2008. He contested under the PAS ticket in the previous elections, until GE14, when he switched to the AMANAH ticket.
• Degree in Fuel and Energy Engineering from Leeds University, United Kingdom
• 1979 to 1986: Operation director, Petronas Dagangan Berhad
• 1997 to 1999: Managing director, Techart Technologies
• 1987 to 2005: Managing director, Naftamore Sdn Bhd
• 1983: Joined PAS
• 1987: Detained for nine months under the ISA during Ops Lalang
• 1987 to 2015: Served in various capacities in PAS including as youth secretary, Central Committee member, Selangor Deputy Commissioner II, and Central Working Committee member
• August 2015: Quit PAS
• September 2015: Became a founding member of Parti Amanah Negara
• 2015 to present: Became an AMANAH Central Committee member and communications director
5. Datuk Liew Vui Keong, 58 – Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Law) (WARISAN)
Datuk Liew Vui Keong is the MP for Batu Sapi. He was the MP for Sandakan between 2008 and 2013, having contested under the LDP (BN).
• LLB (Hons) from University of North London, England
• Certificate of Legal Practice
• Lawyer (Advocate & Solicitor) at his own legal firm, V K Liew & Partners
• 1991: Joined Liberal Democratic Party (LDP)
• 1994 to 2013: Served in various capacities in LDP including as Head of Usukan Division (Kota Belud), assistant secretary-general, head of Kepayan, Kota Kinabalu Division, secretary-general and chairman of Tanjung Papat Division (Sandakan)
• 2006 to 2014: President of LDP
• March 2018: Quit LDP
• 2018 to present: Permanent chairman of Parti Warisan Sabah
6. Datuk Mohamaddin Ketapi, 61 – Tourism and Culture Minister (WARISAN)
Silam MP Datuk Mohamaddin Ketapi is Malaysia's first Tourism Minister from Sabah. According to Bernama, he was the Lahad Datu assemblyman from Parti Bersatu Sabah (PBS) between 1986 and 1990.
• Law degree (LLB) from the University of Buckingham, England
• 1985 to 1986: PBS deputy youth chief and PBS deputy secretary-general
• 2012: Joined PKR
• 2016: Joined Parti Warisan Silam
• 2016 to present: Warisan supreme council member, and Parti Warisan Silam coordinating chairman
• 1986 to 1990: Served as assistant minister to the Sabah deputy chief minister
7. Datuk Dr Mujahid Yusof, 54 – Minister in the Prime Minister's Department (Religion) (AMANAH)
Datuk Dr Mujahid Yusof has been the Parit Buntar MP since 2008. He previously contested under the PAS ticket until GE14, when he switched to AMANAH.
• Degree in Arabic Language and Literature, Al-Azhar University, Egypt
• Masters n Human Resource Development, Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM)
• Doctorate in Islamic Political Science, UM
• 1999 to 2004: Lecturer, Multimedia University
• Arabic teacher
• Author of books such as 'Aren't We All Malaysians' and 'Islam Bukan Agama Teroris'
• 2001 to 2015: Served in various capacities in PAS including Committee Member (Youth), Member of PAS Central Committee and Deputy Commissioner of PAS Pulau Pinang
• September 2015: Became a founding member of Parti Amanah Negara
• 2015 to present: Vice Chairman of AMANAH
8. Mohd Redzuan Yusof, 61 - Entrepreneur Development Minister (PPBM)
First-time election candidate Mohd Redzuan Yusof contested in the Alor Gajah parliamentary seat and won it in GE14.
• Bachelor of Civil Engineering from Leeds University, UK
• Former site engineer at Esso Malaysia Berhad
• Former engineer at Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd
• 2014 to present: Director, Bukit Fraser Thermal Technologies Sdn Bhd
• 2016 to present: PPBM Supreme Council member
9. Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah, 57 – Foreign Minister (PKR)
Datuk Saifuddin Abdullah contested and won in GE14 in the Indera Mahkota parliamentary seat. He contested under the UMNO ticket and was the MP for Temerloh (2008 to 2013) but failed to retain the seat in GE13.
• Bachelor of Arts (Hons), Universiti Malaya (UM)
• Diploma in Translation, Malaysian Translators Association (DBP)
• Management course, University of Harvard, USA
• Former teacher at Sekolah Yayasan Anda
• Former Executive Director, Privasia Sdn Bhd
• General Manager, Writers Academy
• Chairman of Youth Academy
• Columnist and author of books such as 'Memperkasa Persatuan Belia, Gerakan Kesukarelaan: Menjana Perubahan Bermakna' and 'New Politics -Towards A Mature Malaysian Democracy'
• CEO, Global Movement & Moderates (GMM)
• 1985: Joined UMNO
• 2008 to 2015: Member of UMNO Supreme Council
• 2015: Quit UMNO and joined PKR
• 2015 to present: Pakatan Harapan secretariat chief
• 2007 to 2008: Temerloh Municipal Council member
• 2008 to 2009: Deputy Minister of Entrepreneur and Cooperative Development
• 2009 to 2013: Deputy Higher Education Minister II
10. Datuk Saifuddin Nasution Ismail, 55 – Domestic Trade and Consumers Affairs Minister (PKR)
Datuk Saifuddin Nasution Ismail is the current MP for Kulim-Bandar Baharu and state assemblyman for Pantai Jerejak after winning the seats in GE14. He was previously MP of Machang (2008 to 2013) and state assemblyman for Lunas (2000 to 2004).
• Bachelor in Agriculture Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM)
• Former manager of BMR Estate, Kulim
1989: Joined UMNO
1996 to 1998: Served in various capacities as UMNO Youth secretary general and BN Youth permanent secretariat chairman
1998: Expelled from UMNO
1999: Joined PKR, became Supreme Council member and Padang Serai Division vice-chairman
2010 to present: Secretary-general of PKR
• Former political secretary to Tan Sri Syed Hamid Albar, who was Minister in the Prime Minister's Department
• Former director of Yayasan Amanah Tok Kenali
• Former political liaison officer to Tan Sri Abdul Khallid Ibrahim who was Selangor MB
• Former strategic adviser to Lim Guan Eng, who was Penang Chief Minister
11. Syed Saddiq Abdul Rahman, 26 – Youth and Sports Minister (PPBM)
Syed Saddiq Abdul Rahman contested in the general election for the first time in 2018 and became the elected Muar MP.
• Law graduate from International Islamic University of Malaysia (IIUM)
• Research officer to Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad
• Part-time lecturer and debate trainer at IIUM
• Former Law Minister Fellow under the Perdana Fellowship Programme, serving under Datuk Seri Nancy Shukri for nine weeks
• 2016: Became one of the founding members of PPBM
• 2016 to present: Leader of PPBM Youth (Armada)
• Three-time winner of the Asian British Parliamentary (ABP) Debating Championship's Asia's Best Speaker award
• Three-time winner of best English as Second Language (ESL) Speaker Award
12. Teresa Kok, 54 – Primary Industries Minister (DAP)
Teresa Kok has been the Seputeh MP since 1999. She served as the assemblyman for Kinrara between 2008 and 2013.
• Bachelor of Mass Communication, Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)
• BA in Political Science, University Malaya (UM)
• Masters in Philosophy, UM
• 1990 to 1995: Political secretary to Lim Kit Siang
• 2004: Co-founded the Asean Inter-parliamentary Myanmar Caucus
• 1990: Joined DAP
• 1995 to present: Member of DAP Central Executive Committee (CEC)
• 1996 to 2011: Served in various positions including Secretary of International Affairs, Publicity Secretary, Wanita's National Secretary, and National Organising Secretary
• 2008 to 2011: DAP National Organising Secretary
• 2008 to 2013: Selangor State EXCO and Chairman for Investment, Trade and Industry Committee
• 2010 to 2015: Selangor Chairman
• 2012 to 2017: Vice-chairman
• 2017 to present: Deputy Secretary-General
13. Yeo Bee Yin, 35 – Energy, Technology, Science, Climate Change and Environment Minister (DAP)
Yeo Bee Yin won the Bakri parliamentary seat in GE14. She previously served as the Damansara Utama assemblyman between 2013 and 2018.
• Degree in Chemical Engineering, Universiti Teknologi Petronas (UTP)
• Masters in Advanced Chemical Engineering, Cambridge University
• 2006 to 2008: International field engineer, Schlumberger
• 2012: Joined DAP
• 2012 to 2013: DAP Social Media Strategy Advisor
• Current: Assistant National Publicity Secretary, Central Executive Committee DAP