You Know The "Descendants Of The Sun" Craze Is Getting Out Of Control When...
Song Joong-ki, from a flower boy to a man.
The Korean drama “Descendants of the Sun” (DOTS) has been gaining a massive following in Korea and its surrounding regions, quickly becoming one of the most popular TV series of the year
"Descendants of the Sun" achieved what has been perceived as near impossible here with the rise of cable channels recently: a terrestrial drama garnering more than 30 percent of viewers nationwide.
For those living under a rock, "Descendants of the Sun" is a popular KBS 2TV series that portrays the unlikely romance that develops between a South Korean special forces captain, Yoo Si-jin (Song Joong-ki), and Dr. Kang Mo-yeon (Song Hye-kyo), who volunteers for a medical non-profit organization. They first meet in South Korea and then coincide again in the fictional war-ravaged country of Uruk.
For the first time since premiering on 24 February in both South Korea and China - which made it the first South Korean show to do so - the show was watched by more than 30 percent of viewers across South Korea on its ninth episode Wednesday. In Seoul, the figure passed that milestone two weeks ago, so it had been widely considered a matter of time for the nationwide figure to follow.
Its lead actor, Song Joong-ki, is now considered as one of the hottest actors in the region. His popularity has hiked up to the point that China's Ministry of Public Security is considering him a real threat to Chinese couples!
China's Ministry of Public Security took to social media to warn people of the social ills of too much viewing.
"Watching Korean dramas could be dangerous, and may even lead to legal troubles," the ministry warned in a Weibo post.
The department then cited some real-life cases of domestic violence, divorce and plastic surgery, all of which it related to an obsession with Korean dramas and accompanied with photos of similar incidents from various Korean television series, reports CNBC.
So, it's no surprise that fans are going ga-ga over Song Joong-ki and it's getting out of control...
1. Okay, the most basic form of fandom, making your crush's photo the wallpaper on your phone
2. It's only fair that he's gracing desktop wallpapers too
3. You know it's getting serious when a fan arranges desktop shortcuts to ensure that they don't block Joong-ki’s face
4. Even WhatsApp messaging has been reinvented for the love of "Descendants of the Sun"
5. Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha wants all his loyal subjects to start watching the "patriotic drama"
6. Also, this professor in China has been using Joong-ki as the perfect example to teach his students on how to flirt with a girl
7. An exam paper on DOTS! Fans will surely ace it!
8. This fan wants a bigger smile from Joong-ki!
9. You'll never look at Teletubbies the same way again...
Be still, my beating heart!