How Many Of The Craziest, Most Viral Trends In 2019 Did You Take Part In?
It's been a rollercoaster of a year, and it's just gone by in a flash! We can't believe it's almost 2020.
Sunway is inviting you to celebrate the new year at the Sunway NYE Countdown 2020.
With a mega concert with your favourite artists and a huge fireworks show to ring in the New Year, this is set to be the party of the year!
1. Did you try any of the super hyped boba tea shops, eat a unique boba creation, or buy a cute boba accessory?
Famous chains opening in Malaysia, super long queues, boba crabs, boba desserts, boba rice, boba noodles, boba pizza, boba accessories, sticking boba up your nose on TikTok, people dyeing their hair tea milk colour... Such boba, much viral.
2. When Smudge the cat took over Malaysian signboards, did you laugh, share, or tag a friend?
Malaysians totally owned the "woman yelling at cat" meme this year, with multiple super viral posts featuring Smudge the Cat wreaking havoc on famous locations.
3. The return of White Rabbit! Did you try any of the new creations?
Our iconic childhood candy made a victorious comeback this year with White Rabbit ice cream, White Rabbit bubble tea with blue boba, White Rabbit lip balm, and more!
4. The TikTok Mr. Sandman cat. How many people do you know who actually downloaded the app to recreate this video?
This pawsitively adorable video went viral on TikTok, then made its way to Facebook and Twitter, resulting in all of us having that tune stuck in our heads for a good few weeks. It spawned loads of copycat videos, with people trying the format with babies and other animals!
5. How about the #BottleCapChallenge? Did you try it with your friends?
Following the viral footsteps of the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge and the Keke Challenge, this year was all about the #BottleCapChallenge. What started with UFC Champion Max Holloway spread to celebrities like John Mayer and Jason Statham, as well as regular folk like us. But it was Donnie Yen's blindfolded masterclass that took the cake!
6. How did you feel about the final season of Game of Thrones?
For fans of GoT, season 8 was a loooong time coming, and totally not worth the wait. *cries in Bran the Broken* The memes, however, were excellent.
7. Did you ask people, "does it spark joy?" before throwing away junk?
'Tidying Up with Marie Kondo' premiered on Netflix early this year and just took off! She became a household name the world over, and her signature phrase "does it spark joy?" was memed into oblivion.
8. We all went through the haze... but it was the creative Malaysians who fought it that made it almost bearable
Back in September, the haze hit us hard. And while it absolutely sucked, Malaysians stepped up to face the situation in the most Malaysian way - through humour.
Twitter user @Iamkanahraf came up with a plan to "blow the haze back" using fans, a father-daughter duo spent quality time together fighting the haze, and so much more.
9. Extra Spicy Ayam Goreng McD. Did you feel pain or pleasure?
The Extra Spicy Ayam Goreng McD challenge rallied Malaysians together to see who could tahan their spicy the best. It was a thing where everyone got together to talk about how much pain they were in lol.
10. Have you watched 'Avengers: Endgame' and told friends, "I love you 3000"?
'Avengers: Endgame' took the world by storm. A woman was hospitalised for crying too hard, people got beaten up for sharing spoilers, cinemas were fully booked everywhere... it was a crazy time. We all loved it 3000.
11. Were you one of the people who complained about the Sonic trailer and fought to get it fixed?
When the first trailer of 'Sonic the Hedgehog' dropped earlier this year, there was such a powerful backlash that the studio actually went back and changed the look of the iconic character.
It’s been an awesome year and it’s set to end with a bang at Sunway NYE Countdown 2020
Join the annual New Year's Eve countdown at Sunway City Kuala Lumpur!
Enjoy amazing performances from Alvin Chong, Midnight Fusic, Colour of Voices, Kingsman, Karen Kong, and DeFam.
Here are the details:
Date: 31 December 2019
Time: 9pm onwards
Location: Sunway City
Here's a look at the awesomeness from last year's countdown:
And if you can't make it to the festival, don't worry! Just stay tuned to the SAYS Facebook page on 31 December 2019 to watch everything live. From the amazing performances to the spectacular fireworks, you won't miss a thing!