AirAsia Now Flies To Cần Thơ In Vietnam. Here's Why You Need To Visit This Unique City
Looking for somewhere new to explore this year? AirAsia is launching a direct route to Cần Thơ in Vietnam!
Pronounced 'Kan The', this city is known as the 'Western Capital of Vietnam' and is the largest city in the Mekong Delta, drawing influence from many different places.
With stunning floating markets, rice paper making villages, and picturesque rural canals, Cần Thơ is often referred to as the rice basket of Vietnam due to its fertile soil.
You can now visit Cần Thơ with AirAsia! Flying direct four times a week, experience Cần Thơ from 8 April 2019 onwards!
Here are all the fare details:
For AirAsia BIG members - All in one way fare from RM36
For non-members - All in one way fare from RM41
Travel period: 8 April 2019 - 25 October 2019
Get more information here.
Curious to find out more about this Vietnamese city? Here are 5 reasons why Cần Thơ needs to be your next holiday destination:
1. Learn about the culture of the Mekong through a Cần Thơ food tour
Vietnam is famed for their delicious cuisine that mixes French influence with fresh Southeast Asian flavours. Be sure to check out these yummy dishes, especially at De Tham Street:
- Bun Rieu Cua – a tomato-based crab noodle soup with rice noodles and dumplings made of crab and shrimp paste.
- Banh Xeo – crispy and savoury pancakes filled with beansprouts, green onions, and meat.
- Com Ga Cam Ky – Vietnamese steamed chicken rice
- Banh Tran Tron – rice paper strips tossed with peanuts, herbs, dried shrimp, dried beef, hard boiled quail eggs, and shredded mango, with a sweet, sour, and spicy dressing.
- Goi Xoai – fresh mango salad.
- Bap Xao Bo – fresh corn stir-fried with margarine, green onions, and dried shrimp.
- Bun Mam – a fermented fish and shrimp paste soup with seafood and rice noodles.
- Banh Cong – a deep-fried dough bun made from mung beans, taro, and rice flour, topped with whole shrimp.
2. Take in gorgeous architecture and heritage sites of the city such as Binh Thuy Ancient House and the Cần Thơ Bridge
The 'Ancient House of Binh Thuy' was first built in 1870 and embraces cultures of the Khmer (Cambodian) Empire, Chinese refugees, and French colonists who all influenced the region.
A beautiful and colourful home, Binh Thuy was built by the Duong family, who still preserve the residence today, six generations later! It's a gorgeous blend of Western and Oriental architecture, vintage furnishings, and handmade craftsmanship.
The Cần Thơ Bridge is the only gateway to access the city from the Northern provinces. It is currently the longest cable-stayed bridge in Southeast Asia and ranks 24th in the world! It's definitely a sight to behold at night when the bridge is lit up against the night sky.
3. Get closer to nature with the amazing wonders of the Bang Lang Stork Sanctuary and Ninh Kieu Wharf
Visit this enormous 1.3-hectare bird sanctuary for amazing views and meet the thousands of resident storks and snowy egrets. The Bang Lang Stork Sanctuary has tall viewing platforms where you can watch the birds filling the branches all around you. Best times to visit are dawn and dusk!
One of the most popular tourist stops in the city is the Ninh Kieu Wharf. Located on the bank of the Hau River, you can enjoy the beautiful view, take a stroll at the green park that runs parallel to Hai Ba Trung street, shop at the night market, and spend the evening at any of the wonderful restaurants, bars, and hotels.
4. Experience the Hau River with the Cai Rang Floating Market or take a private sampan tour
The world famous Cai Rang Floating Market is a definite must-see. Take an early morning boat ride to catch the sunrise while you enjoy the food, culture, sights, and sounds of the market. From freshly-cooked hot breakfast meals to fresh local fruits and produce, there's so much to see and buy!
Hire a private sampan tour and exit the Hau River to head towards the small canals that make up the Delta. The adventure is totally in the journey, so stop at everything you find interesting! Check out the stilt houses, boat houses, orchards, farms, cottage industries, and riverside restaurants you're sure to pass along the way.
5. Enjoy the vibrant nightlife of the city through markets, bars, and more
Shop at the many night markets such as Tay Do, Ninh Kieu, and Cần Thơ for local street food and fun souvenirs.
End your nights with jazz, wine, and beautiful views at L'Escale in Nam Bo Boutique Hotel or head to the Iris Sky Bar for a cocktail with a view of the city.
Get ready to widen your horizons this year by traveling to a brand new destination you've never explored before!
Fly direct to Cần Thơ in Vietnam with AirAsia! Get more information here.