7 Questions You Can Ask Yourself To Find Out Your State Of Wellness And Happiness
There are seven key dimensions of wellness – physical, spiritual, intellectual, environmental, financial, social, and emotional
According to the National Wellness Institute (NWI), each of these dimensions are interconnected and all contribute to healthy living. For instance, not only is being physically fit important, having your emotions and relationships in check will also help you feel better about yourself.
1. Do you get restful sleep and feel energised throughout the day?
Physical wellness is important because it directly affects how your body feels. If you're not getting good rest or you're feeling lethargic throughout the day, it's a sign that your body is in need of some extra care. It can be as easy as doing a simple workout at the end of the day, or putting your phone away so you can rest better at night.
- Try being active at least 20 minutes a day
- Eat at regular times and drink plenty of water every day
- Track your sleeping pattern to make sure you get 7-9 hours of sleep
2. Is there a sense of peace and wellbeing in your life?
Spiritual wellness is not just about having a religion, but also about finding purpose and meaning in your life. While many people see spiritual wellness as an opportunity to connect with something greater than themselves, others may find peacefulness through methods like meditation.
- Keep all your devices away and spend 10 minutes a day practicing mindfulness
- Engage in groups that share your same beliefs or values
- Write down five things you're grateful for at the end of every week in a journal
3. Have you learnt something new in the last three months?
Intellectual wellness is about consistently expanding your knowledge and sharing it with others. This dimension of wellness is not just limited to picking up new skills, it can also come in the form of troubleshooting an issue at work or helping a friend solve their problem. Basically, anything that challenges your creativity, curiosity, and critical thinking skills will help build your intellectual wellness.
- Develop a new skill by attending an online class
- Teach something you're good at to reinforce the knowledge
- Listen and consider the perspective of others
4. Are you taking care of the environment and your surroundings?
Environmental wellness relates to how you interact with your environment and how it impacts you. The natural environment is part of this, which is why going green and being sustainable can help. On the other hand, environmental wellness is also about your everyday surroundings, be it your home, workspace, or office – a tidy, well-decorated environment will be sure to bring your spirits up.
- Make conscious decisions to be environmentally-friendly
- Keep your home and everyday surroundings neat and clean
- Spruce up your environment with greenery and decorations that spark joy
5. When it comes to your work, do you find it fulfilling?
Financial or occupational wellness refers to finding fulfilment in your work and career. Most of the time, this sense of fulfilment is also closely tied to your financial stability. If you're stressed at your job, overworked, or struggling financially, it may affect this area of your wellbeing. On the other hand, being in a healthy workplace with good colleagues and a clear career projection may help you feel more secure.
- Look for good companies where you can stay and grow
- Keep track of your monthly expenses and spend within your means
- Take time off from work to prevent yourself from burning out
6. Do you communicate effectively with others?
Social wellness is all about your relationships and how you interact with others, be it your loved ones, friends, colleagues, or strangers. Being able to communicate well and understand others is important. Besides that, you should also surround yourself with people who will be there for you in both good and difficult times – it doesn't have to be a big group, it can be just a few close friends you trust.
- Reach out to the five people closest to you, and tell them how much they mean to you
- Make it a point to call or text your loved ones to stay in touch
- Participate in social activities and be open to meeting new people
7. Do you know what stresses you out, and how to deal with it?
Emotional wellness includes how you deal with your feelings and emotions. First of all, do you understand your feelings and why certain things stress you out? Knowing this will help you to manage your emotions and cope with challenges in life. Besides that, learning how to express your feelings in a healthy manner is also important, especially to the people you interact with on a daily basis.
- Take note of what stresses you out, and learn how to deal with those stressors
- Find someone to talk to if you're struggling with your feelings or emotions
- Try out relaxation and stress management techniques
If you managed to answer positively for all seven questions above, you’ve achieved holistic wellness! But if not, don’t worry, 'cause you can always work towards it one step at a time.
Whether it’s your physical, emotional, or psychological wellness, there are practical things you can do to improve your overall wellbeing. Ultimately, the most important thing is to understand that wellness is a lifelong pursuit, and the little steps you take today can help you feel happier in the long run.
Prudential understands the importance of holistic wellness, which is why they introduced the We DO Wellness Together campaign
Prudential wants to help individuals and families to be well physically, mentally, and financially, so that they can get the most out of life. Through music and movement, the We DO Wellness Together campaign is designed to bring people together to learn about and improve their holistic wellbeing, while having fun doing so!
They even partnered with K-pop supergroup SuperM to come up with the We DO music video, featuring slick dance moves and a catchy melody. Plus, the joyful and energetic song reminds us all that achieving wellness is a whole lot of fun, with lyrics like:
Move your body
That's what we do
Get up live your best life
Show them what it looks like
The viral video has already racked up over 11 million views to date on YouTube, check it out below:
Plus, did you know that dancing is a great way to improve wellness?
Not only is dancing a fun way to workout, it's also been shown to improve cardiovascular health, while giving you better coordination, strength, and balance. Besides physical wellness, dancing may even help to reduce stress and depression. Taking the time to learn dance moves and coordinate your steps also stimulates your brain and keeps it active.
With so many benefits to dancing, Prudential is bringing the concert to your home with #WeDODanceChallengeMY, yayy!! :DD
From now until 15 July, you can join the #WeDODanceChallengeMY, and express your own form of wellness along with SuperM's We DO song in the background. You can do anything, from dancing and zumba, to doing yoga or even a HIIT workout, as long as you do wellness your way.
If you're chosen as one of the winners, you'll get to walk away with an exclusive ticket to PrudentialxSuperM We DO Virtual Concert and SUPER EXCLUSIVE Fan Meet Activity. For the fan meet, you'll actually get to interact with SuperM members in real-time virtually, woohoo! However, ticket quantities are super limited, so make sure you go all out with your submission.
Plus, there will be all kinds of PrudentialxSuperM merchandise up for grabs, from duffle bags and caps to t-shirts and lanyards. On top of that, you'll stand a chance to win bonus RM100 Shopee vouchers if you post on TikTok, Instagram, or Facebook, or RM150 Shopee vouchers if you post on the Pulse app.
Besides that, anyone who participates in the challenge will have the opportunity to join the SUPER EXCLUSIVE Fan Meet Activity with SuperM :O With all of us staying at home now, it's the perfect time to take part in this activity and win amazing prizes!
Here's how to join the challenge
1. Show off how you DO wellness featuring SuperM’s We DO song.
2. Post your video on TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, OR in the “Dance for Wellness” community on the Pulse app.
3. Tag @PrudentialMalaysia and use hashtags:
#WeDODanceChallengeMY #WeDO #PRUxSuperM #PrudentialMalaysia
* Terms and conditions apply.
Find out more about Prudential’s #WeDODanceChallengeMY on their website today
The information provided is for educational and communication purposes only and it should not be construed as personal medical advice. Information published in this article is not intended to replace, supplant or augment a consultation with a health professional regarding the reader’s own medical care.