Have You Seen These Ancient Photos Of Penang? They Were Retrieved From Old Floppy Disks
Some of the photographs are almost a 100 years old.
We stumbled upon a collection of beautiful, old photos of our very own Pearl of the Orient, recently.
Photographed by mostly European and Asian photographers, some of these pictures are almost a 100 years old!
The photos were compiled on one R.S Murthi's website, plonked under a four-part 'Old Penang Photos' entry. Murthi retrieved the photos from a collection of floppy disks dating back to 1996 when researching about his hometown, Prai.
He found them from various sources online and mentioned that most of the images are scans of old postcards with photos licensed from European and Asian amatuer and professional photographers. Some of the photos are from blogs of former British soldiers who were stationed in Malaya during the colonial era. Most of the images have been "cleaned up" and posterised by Murthi.
The photos have been credited to the site that we found them from, R.S Murthi, as the names of the photographers could not be found. It would be great if you could drop us a comment should you happen to know the names of any of the photographers.
1. Penang Botanical Gardens c. 1939
2. Cars parked by the roadside of an unnamed village in Penang. c. 1920
3. An aerial view of Georgetown, Penang. c. 1970
4. The beautiful Kapitan Keling Mosque that was built back in 1801. c. 1968
5. Kek Lok Si Temple c. 1960
6. Butterworth c. 1900
7. The majestic view from Penang Hill Hotel. c. 1980
8. Cathay, Penang Road. c. 1964
9. Eastern & Oriental Hotel. c. 1964
11. A bullock cart on a rural road in Penang. c 1960
15. Light Street roundabout c. 1968
16. Air Itam c. 1960
17. Raja Tun Uda Terminal c. 1965
18. Malayan Airways plane at Bayan Lepas Airport c. 1962
19. Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank, Penang c. 1963
20. Penang Buddhist Association building c. 1970
21. Church Street Pier c. 1958
23. Beach Street c. 1890
24. Northam Road c. 1930
25. Penang Club c. 1930
26. Batu Kawan-Pulau Aman ferry c. 1960
27. Odeon Cinema c. 1956
28. Capitol Cinema c. 1981
29. Air Itam dam c. 1970
30. Penang Hill cable railway c. 1970
31. Penang Swimming Club, Tanjong Bungah, c. 1956
32. Penang ferry, 'Senangin' c. 1955
33. German U-181 docking at Swettenham Pier c. 1939
Penang has changed so much over the past century, but the historic city has still retained its old world charm. Check out these then and now photos of Penang: