11 Top Tips For An Awesome Family Holiday That Will Ensure Less Stress & More Fun For All
Travelling with little ones can totally be as easy as 1, 2, 3!
1. Pack all the snacks!
Travelling can be tiring, boring, and frustrating... for adults! It's infinitely worse for kids. Snacks will not only distract and entertain the children, they'll also give them an energy boost and keep them going for the rest of the journey.
Consider wholesome, hearty snacks like fruits, sandwiches, pasta, and buns, as well as a few sweet treats to keep them happy.
2. Choose a comfortable hotel with a lot of amenities like children's swimming pools to keep the little ones occupied
One of the most sure-fire ways to have a fully enjoyable holiday with kids is to stay at a kid-friendly hotel. That doesn't necessarily mean luxury (although that would be awesome for everyone lol), but cleanliness, comfort, and great amenities like a gorgeous swimming pool are easy ways to keep kids entertained for the whole holiday.
3. Stay in a family-friendly area with easy dining options nearby
This really depends on your family, but in general, it's advisable to stay away from the backpacker hotspots and loud nightlife if you're travelling with little ones. Do your research beforehand to make sure there's plenty of easy food options within walking distance from your hotel.
4. Book things in advance for the best rates and least stress, especially special packages that include both hotel rooms and theme park tickets!
If you're planning on going to specific theme parks, museums, nature parks, or farms that require admission tickets, you should definitely buy them online in advance. With the many travel sites, you're sure to find great discounts and packages, plus it's one less thing to think about!
For example, the Family Fun Package gives you 15% off on your hotel stay and Sunway Lagoon theme park tickets. The best part is you get MULTIPLE ENTRIES on the same day for the theme park, so you can bring your little ones back to the room for a nap in the afternoon, then return to the park to play afterwards! This is the only package that allows re-entry tickets to Sunway Lagoon Theme Park, find out more here!
5. Plan a detailed itinerary ahead of time so you know where to go, what to see, and where to eat during your holiday
A simple Excel sheet is honestly more than enough to create an itinerary, but if you want something cuter, there are plenty of templates available online for free. Start with what time you plan to leave your home, reach your hotel, and check in. From there, add activities, locations, and times.
6. Buuuut... be flexible and open to last-minute changes, because kids don't care about your itinerary lol
It's always really good to have a plan to refer to. But in case someone is too tired and needs a nap, or someone else wants to stay in the hotel to swim a little longer... just go with the flow. Remember the holiday is supposed to be relaxing for everyone. Forcing kids to follow your Excel sheet isn't going to be fun for anyone :P
7. Buy and pack some new, small toys to bust out during difficult times
On top of bringing their favourite toy from home, it's a good idea to buy some new ones too! Buy and pack them without the children knowing so you can surprise them during any particular stressful times such as airport delays, long queues, on-the-edge-of-a-tantrum moments, and so forth. It's an easy way to diffuse situations and keep younger family members happy.
8. Bring basic medication for fever and tummy aches
It's always a good idea to bring basic medication whether you're travelling with children or not. Kids are particularly susceptible to fevers and tummy aches when there are changes in their routine, so be sure to bring along children's paracetemol and even antihistamines just in case. Fingers crossed you won't need them!
9. Allow your child to be the holiday photographer
Maximise learning opportunities by giving your little one the partial responsibility of being the holiday photographer! There are lots of affordable digital cameras made especially for children nowadays, or you can use an old camera phone. This allows your child to be creative and really take in the sights of their new surroundings, so they fully appreciate their vacation in a fun and enjoyable way.
10. Always get travel insurance
Nowadays travel insurance for the entire family is less than RM100. You never know what could happen, and with small ones in tow, it's always better to be safe than sorry. You'll be thankful for spending those few extra dollars if there's a flight delay or your luggage gets lost.
11. Accept that some things WILL. GO. WRONG. And have a great time despite of it!
At the end of the day, your kids probably aren't going to remember the historical names and dates of all the amazing sites you bring them to. But what they will remember is the fun, laughter, and joy of being with you. So just take it easy, don't try to squeeze in everything, and enjoy your special family time!
Enjoy a family getaway like never before with Sunway Hotels & Resorts!
For the ultimate family getaway with the best of kid-friendly entertainment, food, and fun in Kuala Lumpur:
Have a fun staycation in Penang and introduce your little ones to our amazing food culture and heritage sites:
- Sunway Hotel Georgetown - Located in the city centre, everything is in walking distance, making this hotel perfect for children as they get to discover the history and culture of this gorgeous city at their doorstep. You can then spend your evenings chilling in the exclusive family suites of the hotel.
- Sunway Hotel Seberang Jaya - Explore eco-nature spots with the family for a fun and educational holiday in the centre of Seberang Jaya.
Go on a foodie trail and seek out hidden gems at your own pace in Ipoh:
- The Banjaran Hotsprings Retreat - Get pampered with a fully holistic experience at Malaysia's first luxury hot springs wellness retreat.
Go on a cultural journey and introduce your kids to the historic landmarks of Cambodia:
- Sunway Hotel Phnom Penh - Located at the heart of Phnom Penh, enjoy historic landmarks, magnificent boulevards, local attractions, handicraft markets, and the riverfront.
Make unforgettable memories with your loved ones in Vietnam:
- Sunway Hotel Hanoi - This hotel is French chic and located on the fringe of Hanoi's famed French quarter. It's the perfect place to explore historical landmarks and major commercial buildings.
Book your next holiday with Sunway Hotels & Resorts directly from their website to save on your accommodation AND enjoy exclusive benefits!