18-Year-Old Suffers Permanent Lung Damage After Vaping For Two Years

Doctors said that the teenager’s lungs are like those of a 70-year-old.

Cover image via Getty/CNN

An 18-year-old has been left with permanent lung damage after being hospitalised for an unknown respiratory sickness due to vaping

Adam Hergenreder from Illinois, US, is one of 27 patients who were recently hospitalised for severe respiratory illness.

CNN reported that seven people recently died from vaping-related illnesses in the US. The first death took place last month in August.

Image for illustration purposes only.

Image via Getty Images

Adam felt unwell last month but had assumed that it was just a stomach flu

For three days, he shivered uncontrollably and vomited, before his mother took him to a hospital where he was placed under intensive care.

Despite taking nausea medication, Adam continued to vomit.

Image via CNN/The Sun

It was not until doctors carried out a CT scan of his stomach and X-ray that Adam's lungs revealed the true damage

The X-ray showed that the 18-year-old's lungs were so damaged that it looked like the "lungs of a 70-year-old".

According to, doctors said that if his mother had not brought him in within the next two or three days, Adam could have died.

"It was severe lung disease, especially for a young person. He was short of breath, he was breathing heavily," said Dr Stephen Amesbury, according to the report.

"It was very concerning that he would have significant lung damage and possibly some residual changes after he heals from this."

Image via CNN/The Sun

At 16, Adam had started buying nicotine vapes from convenience stores.

However, last year, he began to use THC-filled devices, often altered and sold illegally.

Tetrahydrocannabino (THC) is the main psychoactive compound found in marijuana, which causes that 'high' feeling.

Mango and mint were Adam's favourite flavours. Despite public warnings on e-cigarettes, he continued to vape up to one and a half pods a day.

His mother had warned him of these vape devices and would often throw it out when she saw them in the house.

Adam took up vaping nearly two years ago.

Image via CNN/The Sun

"We don't yet know the exact cause of these illnesses — whether they're caused by contaminants, ingredients in the liquid or something else, such as the device itself," said Ann Thomas, M.D., public health physician at Oregan Health Authority's Public Health Division.

After his experience, Adam is now warning others of the dangers of vaping

"People just see that little (vape) pod and think, how could that do anything to my body?" he said, according to The Sun UK.

I'm glad I could be an example and show people that (vaping products) aren't good at all. They will mess up your lungs.

Earlier this month, the Health Ministry of Malaysia announced that it will table a new bill on the usage of tobacco, vape, electronic cigarette (e-cigarette), and shisha

Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad.

Image via theSunDaily

Minister of Health Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad revealed that the new Act will include tobacco and several other nicotine-related issues found in vape or e-cigarettes.

The Bill will be tabled in Parliament by the March 2020 sitting.

Read more vaping-related articles here: