19-Year-Old Bank Robber Shot Dead After Holding Woman Hostage In Johor

The incident took place in Air Tawar, Kota Tinggi, yesterday afternoon, 18 June.

Cover image via Twitter @My_CrimeWatch & New Straits Times

A 19-year-old suspect was fatally shot by a security guard in an attempted bank robbery in Johor yesterday, 18 June

According to New Straits Times, the incident took place in Air Tawar, Kota Tinggi at around 2pm in the afternoon.

Kota Tinggi police chief Superintendent Ashmon Bajah said the teenager had entered the bank armed with a sickle.

The suspect immediately took a hostage by holding the weapon to the neck of a female customer and demanded for money.

"Acting to protect customers and the bank staff, the on-duty security guard fired his pump-gun at the robber and hit him at his right rib," said Superintendent Ashmon.

"The robber was declared dead at the scene."

Several purported videos of the incident have since gone viral

One of the videos shows the distressing scene inside the bank with the suspect in a head mask holding the female hostage while the bank staff stand around apprehensive.

Some women are heard crying.

A screenshot of a video showing the bank robber holding a woman hostage.

Image via Twitter @My_CrimeWatch

Other videos show local residents standing outside of the bank, witnessing the ordeal.

A witness told New Straits Times it was the first time she has ever seen a robbery.

"The bank shutters were pulled down and there was a shout coming from inside (the bank) asking for money," she said.

The witness said the residents had called the police but several first guarded the bank's front and back doors to make sure the robber had no route to escape.

When the police arrived, there was a knock on the bank doors that they were ready to intercept.

"Instead, several customers came out and some of them were crying and in a state of shock," she told reporters.

A screenshot of a video showing hostages running out of the bank.

Image via Malay Mail

The case is being investigated under Section 307 and Section 393 of the Penal Code for attempted murder and attempt to commit robbery

The Star reported that no bank staff or customers were hurt during the incident.

Meanwhile, Superintendent Ashmon said the suspect's body has been sent to Hospital Sultan Ismail for a post-mortem.

The police chief added that the suspect had no previous criminal record.

Read more recent news on SAYS:

You may be interested in: