20 People Caught A Severe Bacteria Infection After Going To The Same Massage Parlour In KL
At least 20 customers of a massage parlour in Kuala Lumpur have contracted a severe bacteria infection since June 2018
All the victims were reportedly serviced by the same masseuse, a Vietnamese man, before experiencing symptoms such as swelling, pus-filled wounds, and difficulty in walking
"Within two weeks it took for me to fall sick and to be hospitalised, the doctor had to remove the flesh from eight infected wounds as the surrounding tissue was already dead," said one victim, who felt pain in his legs after visiting the massage parlour last November.
"The entire surgery cost RM23,000, which included a month of follow-up consultations," he added, according to Mothership.
Another victim was told by a doctor that an amputation would be required if the infection reaches the bone.
While the victims initially thought that they were isolated cases, they soon discovered the cause of their severe skin infections after reading about similar cases on the Internet
Medical reports later revealed that at least four of the victims were infected by a strain of "super bacteria" called Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) which spreads through contact and is resistant to commonly-used antibiotics.
Majority of the victims have undergone surgery to remove the infected parts, while some are still under quarantine.
KLCAH will be submitting the medical and police reports to the relevant authorities for investigation, Mothership reported.