Malaysia Records 2 Deaths Caused By COVID-19 Pandemic
Malaysia has just recorded its first two coronavirus-related deaths.
The first victim was a 34-year-old who attended the tabligh assembly in Sri Petaling, Kuala Lumpur.
According to a tweet by the Ministry of Health, he developed symptoms on 5 March and was diagnosed on 12 March before being treated at Hospital Permai in Johor.
However, his condition deteriorated even though he was admitted into the intensive care unit (ICU). His passing was confirmed today, 17 March.
The second victim was a 60-year-old patient who also passed away today at 11am
The second victim, David Cheng, was a pastor at Emmanuel Baptist Church, Kuching who developed a fever, cough, and shortness of breath on 7 March. It is reported that he had a history of chronic disease.
He was admitted to Sarawak General Hospital on 14 March and also required treatment at the hospital's ICU before succumbing to the illness, said the state's Disaster Management Committee in a press release today.
The Sarawak Health Department is still in the midst of identifying the source of his infection, but have traced 193 close contacts who were told to undergo home quarantine.
It was previously shared on Facebook that the church's Sunday services were cancelled as he was diagnosed positive to safeguard all churchgoers.
"Anyone who came into contact with him the last few weeks please quarantine yourself for at least 14 days," said the announcement that was circulated by Kuching Calvary Family Church pastor Patricia Wong.
A source close to the victim told SAYS that his wife and daughter have also been tested positive for COVID-19.
Meanwhile, there are 120 new COVID-19 cases today, bringing the nationwide total to 673 cases
95 of the new cases are linked to the recent tabligh gathering in a Sri Petaling mosque, said the Ministry.
Yesterday, 16 March, the Prime Minister announced that Malaysia will be under a Restricted Movement Order until 31 March:
Stay updated with the latest COVID-19 stories: