Details Of The Alleged Abuse A 46-Day-Old Baby Suffered At The Hands Of Her Parents

She succumbed to her injuries on Thursday while being rushed to hospital.

Cover image via NST Online

On Thursday, Nurul Ain Umairah, a 46-day-old baby, died at about 10.45am while she was being rushed to the Seberang Jaya Hospital

It was believed that the baby girl, who was born on 30 December, died due to suspected abuse by her parents at their home in Kampung Tok Panjang, Bukit Tengah.

Following Nurul Ain Umairah's death, a police report was registered under Section 31(1)(a) of the Child Act 2001. Both her parents, aged 22, were remanded for seven days to assist in the investigations.

Police had detained the couple on Thursday night, a few hours after Nurul Ain Umairah's death. They were brought to Bukit Mertajam magistrate's court on Friday, 16 February, where registrar Nor Hapipah Abdullah issued the remand order.

Image via NST Online

According to Central Seberang Prai OCPD ACP Nik Ros Azhan Nik Ab Hamid, police arrested the parents after an x-ray discovered bruises all over the baby's body, with one of her legs fractured

ACP Nik Ros Azhan said that the parents claimed they found the child unconscious and rushed her to a nearby clinic, where she was pronounced dead.

"The child was delivered via a normal birth at Bukit Mertajam Hospital, at 1.35am on 30 December, weighing 2.66kg. Police investigations found that the child had yellow fever soon after, but was successfully treated over two weeks.

"An x-ray revealed injuries and bruises on her head, neck and legs.

"There were also several fractured ribs which were healing as well as freshly broken left thigh bone. We suspect the child died following abuse by her family," ACP Azhan said in a statement on Friday, reported NST Online.

A post-mortem by Dr Amir Saad Abdul Rahim at the Seberang Jaya Hospital revealed that the infant died due to brain haemorrhage

According to the post-mortem, there were signs of bite marks on her body.

"The post-mortem found that the baby suffered internal bleeding in the brain and that there were bruises and laceration marks on the body, particularly on the head, face, mouth, upper arms and legs," ACP Azhan was reported saying.

There were also abrasions on her genitals, bite marks on the hands and lips.

The ACP told the Malaysian Insight that the baby's external injuries were believed to have been caused by blunt force trauma, "such as being thrown to the floor, walls or door, as well as pinching and being stomped on."

While statements from several witnesses including relatives have been recorded, the 46-day-old girl's death has yet to be classified

"Further investigations are underway, including to determine the motive behind the alleged abuse of the baby until she had suffered from internal and external injuries, including a brain haemorrhage," Bernama quoted ACP Azhan as saying.

The baby's remains have been kept at the HSJ's forensic unit to enable dental experts to conduct tests on her to determine the several bite marks on her cheeks and body.

"The specialist must carry out a detailed examination to identify the bite marks on whether they were inflicted by the father or mother," ACP Azhan added.

Meanwhile, the grandfather of the 46-day-old baby girl is in shock

"I'm still shocked with what happened to my fourth grandchild.

"All the while, I only read in the newspapers or heard on television of children being abused, I never expected this to happen in my own house.

"We are all saddened by this and are leaving the matter to the police. We want justice for Nurul Ain Umairah," the 53-year-old grandfather told Bernama.

In other news, a Philippine actress alleged that she and her teen daughters were harassed by a group of men at Sunway Lagoon:

Other recent news stories on SAYS: