KL Affected By Flash Floods After Non-Stop Heavy Rain

DBKL said water levels receded in 30 minutes.

Cover image via @masyrafr (Twitter) via @thevibesnews (Twitter)) & Jabatan Penerangan WPKL (Facebook)

Subscribe to our Telegram channel for our latest stories and breaking news.

Malaysians shared photos and videos of flash floods in Kuala Lumpur yesterday, 25 May, after non-stop heavy rain around the city

According to New Straits Times, the heavy rain started at 10am affecting several locations in KL.

The affected areas include:
— Jalan Rahmat
— Jalan Ipoh Batu 3
— Jalan Segambut
— Jalan Dutamas 2
— Lebuhraya Sultan Iskandar towards Jalan Kuching
— Jalan Ampang in front of the Bukit Nanas waterfall

Here are before and after pictures of an area near Masjid Jamek after reports of the rise in water levels:

Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) socioeconomic development executive director Datuk Anwar Mohd Zain said water levels receded in 30 minutes

Following the weather forecast, 300 staff members were already sent out to flood-prone areas, reported New Straits Times.

Besides DBKL staff, personnel from Alam Flora, police, and the Civil Defence Force were among those on standby to assist the traffic flow, traffic dispersal, and ensuring proper water flow. 

DBKL took action immediately, deploying 10 water pumps to flush out stagnant water from affected areas.

"Sandbags were also placed in some areas including Sungai Bras-Bras, Jalan Parlimen, Jalan Rahmat, and Lebuh Ampang. DBKL will add more sandbags as part of interim measures," said Anwar.

These were the proactive measures taken to prevent the loss of life and damages to properties.

Anwar denied rumours that there were huge flash floods in KL

He stated that there were pictures and videos that are circulating on social media that were from previous floods that happened months ago.

One of them, according to DBKL, is a video showing cars driving on an elevated highway.

"Cars can now pass through the areas mentioned without any trouble. The water level receded as quickly as they rose," Anwar was quoted as saying by New Straits Times.

He claimed that they were able to control the situation without many issues.

Read the latest news on SAYS: