Gombak Woman Who Lost Her Father To COVID-19 Pleads With Everyone To #StayAtHome
On Saturday, 21 March, a 57-year-old man from Gombak died in Hospital Kuala Lumpur (HKL) after being infected with COVID-19
Health Director-General Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the man was admitted on 18 March with fever, cough, and sore throat - three common symptoms associated with the virus that causes COVID-19.
"His condition deteriorated and he died at 3.22pm today, 21 March," Dr Noor Hisham said yesterday.
He had travelled to Vietnam and came in contact with a positive case from the tabligh cluster.
The man's grief-stricken daughter, who tested positive for the disease along with her sister, took to Twitter yesterday to express her sadness at not being able to attend to their father's funeral arrangements
Syahira Idris, who along with her sister is currently in isolation at HKL after both of them tested positive with COVID-19, had been tweeting updates of her father's condition.
On Saturday, she said that given the current situation she only send prayers from afar for her father.
"With a heavy heart, I would like to share that my father Idris bin Atan has passed away. I pray that he will be bestowed all the blessings. The doctor said my father passed away peacefully. Thanks to all who have prayed for him. Only Allah can repay your kindness," read Syahira's tweet yesterday.
"My sister and I cannot leave the hospital. We can only pray for him from afar," she said, adding that only her younger sister will attend to their father's funeral arrangements.
She also shared a photo with her father, asking him to rest
Prior to this, Syahira has been asking everyone to pray for her father, saying that she and her whole family have been quarantined
"It breaks your heart when your own father is in critical condition and you can do nothing," she said while pleading with everyone to "just stay at home! Please stay at home!"
"The disease spread faster than we thought. Before this our dad was okay... but things got worse overnight. Please, please! Stay at home," Syahira emphasised in one of her several tweets since the government-imposed two-week-long Movement Control Order came into effect on 18 March.
"If you guys don't want to face a similar situation, I am begging, please stay at home."
Syahira's appeal for everyone to stay at home comes amidst a rising number of new cases and eight reported deaths in the country:
Stay updated with the latest COVID-19 stories: