JDT Striker Syafiq's Father Was Waiting For CMCO To Be Over To Go See His Infant Grandson

The 25-year-old professional footballer resides in Johor. His father's side of the family lives in Penang. They have yet to meet Syafiq's son, who was born on 14 November, due to the Conditional Movement Control Order.

Cover image via Danial Saad/New Straits Times

It was an emotional scene at the Sungai Bakap Hospital's forensic unit this morning, 6 December, as family members tried to console Johor Darul Ta'zim (JDT) striker Muhammad Syafiq Ahmad, who lost his son

The JDT striker with his wife, daughter, and infant son was involved in an accident that happened on Sunday morning, 6 December at the North-South Expressway (NSE) in Nibong Tebal.

There were two more fatalities reported in the accident. While one of the victims was Syafiq's mother-in-law Zainab Wahab, aged 45, the other victim was an Indonesian Titik Sukamti, in her 30s.

Image via Bernama
Image via Bernama

Syafiq, who was behind the wheel of the Toyota Vellfire, is said to have lost control of the vehicle while trying to avoid something on the road

According to Syafiq's father Ahmad Ibrahim, his son is still in shock.

"He said he was trying to avoid something before he lost control, causing the vehicle to skid and ram into the road divider," the 56-year-old was quoted as saying by Harian Metro at the hospital.

The 25-year-old professional footballer, who resides in Johor, was on his way to his in-law's house in Pendang, Kedah earlier today

His father received a call at about 4am, informing him that his son was involved in an accident.

At first, however, Ahmad thought that the caller had contacted the wrong person.

He explained to the caller that all his children were at home before realising the caller was referring to the JDT striker, as he was not aware that Syafiq was on his way to his in-law's house.

After Ahmad was convinced it was Syafiq, he rushed to the scene of the accident. However, by the time he reached there, the Penang Fire and Rescue Department had sent everyone hospital.

Syafiq's father's side of the family lives in Penang

They have yet to meet Syafiq's son, who was born on 14 November, due to the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) that is being lifted in a staggered manner starting Monday, 7 December.

According to Ahmad, the family was planning a trip to Johor to visit Syafiq after the end of the CMCO.

Ahmad said they were supposed to leave on 11 December, but had to put their trip on hold after his area, Bayan Baru, was placed under the Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO).

"Our whole family was excited to visit our first grandson, Muhammad Aisy Saqeef, and Syafiq's siblings had applied for leave from work to visit him in Johor," he told New Straits Times.

The family is devastated over the incident

Three people were killed in the accident:

You may be interested in: