[VIDEOS] Chaos Ensues After Langkawi Ferry Breakdown Leaves Over 400 Stranded For 8 Hours

Some children and elderly folks reportedly slept on the pavement at Kuah Jetty due to the delay.

Cover image via Harian Metro & Inforoadblock

Subscribe to our Telegram channel for our latest stories and breaking news.

The breakdown of a large capacity ferry at the Kuah Ferry Terminal on Wednesday, 2 February sparked a shouting match between several stranded passengers and crew members

In pictures that have since gone viral, the terminal is seen crowded with passengers waiting to board the ferry.

Konsortium Ferry Line Ventures human resources and operations manager Baharin Baharom said passengers were supposed to board the Star City 6 Ferry from Langkawi to Kuala Perlis at 2.30pm, but the journey could not continue as the ferry had been damaged, according to New Straits Times.

He said the consortium management then provided another ferry, Bahagia 99, to take all passengers to the Kuala Perlis Terminal.

Image via Harian Metro
Image via Harian Metro

The altercation reportedly began when passengers were informed that the ferry trip was rescheduled to 10pm

"After discussions, the consortium decided to reschedule the ferry to 10pm because if the ferry departed at 3.30pm, it will not be able to berth at the Kuala Perlis Jetty terminal due to the low tide," Baharin was quoted as saying by Free Malaysia Today.

"There could have been an accident at sea that would endanger passengers and crew members," he added.

A viral video shows some of the passengers yelling and arguing with crew members, while even hurling abusive words at the ferry and terminal staff.

Another footage shows passengers slowly getting on board the ferry as the shouting match continues in the background. The caption of the video says some children and elderly folks reportedly slept on the pavement at Kuah Jetty due to the delay, reported Harian Metro.

All 423 passengers finally arrived safely at the Kuala Perlis Ferry Terminal at about 11.25pm on Wednesday

Malaysian Marine Department northern region Mohd Hafiz Abdul Majid confirmed the incident involving the breakdown of the large capacity ferry.

It is understood that the receding sea water in Kuala Perlis has caused all Langkawi-Kuala Perlis ferry trips on 10 February to 13 February to be cancelled, but people can still go to the resort island by taking a ferry at the Kuala Kedah Terminal.

Read the latest news on SAYS:

You may be interested in: