Malaysian Teen Went 'Missing' For 10 Days In SG Because He Was Too Shy To Ask For Help

The 18-year-old couldn't find his way back to his friend's house.

Cover image via Sin Chew Daily

An 18-year-old Malaysian who went 'missing' in Singapore for 10 days was found on 6 January

According to eNanyang, the 18-year-old was identified by a member of the public on Haig Road, Singapore. 

"I was sitting alone in the park, I didn't even know where I was. A woman in her 70s came up to me and asked if I was the missing boy from Malaysia," he told eNanyang. 

The 18-year-old boy.

Image via Sin Chew Daily

The boy, who was staying with his friend in Singapore, intended to look for a job while he was there

The boy recounted his ordeal after his friend left him with SGD50 (approximately RM152) on the morning of 26 December 2018.

"I walked to a café nearby for lunch, but I couldn't find my way back to my friend's apartment," he said.

He added that he had left his passport, phone, and RM1,500 in his friend's house before leaving for the café.

The teen then walked aimlessly around Singapore over the next 10 days in an attempt to find his friend's apartment

"I kept walking, and every apartment looked the same to me. I couldn't find my way back at all," the boy said, before adding that he walked 12 hours daily.

During the 10 days he went 'missing', the boy used toilets in cafés and shopping malls, and slept outside apartment blocks. 

"I'm a shy person. I don't really know how Singaporeans are like, so I didn't dare to talk to them or borrow their phones. I also tried looking for police stations but to no avail," the 18-year-old added.

Image for illustration purposes only.

Image via Singapore Police Force

The boy used up his SGD50 by the eighth day he went 'missing'

"I ate chap fan (mixed rice) everyday, and I used up all my money by the eighth day. I spent the last two days begging from strangers," the boy said. 

"I was starving and dehydrated, so I forced myself to beg from strangers. I only approached six to seven people in those two days," he added.

He has since returned to Malaysia, and gave up on looking for a job for now

Sin Chew Daily reported that the boy has returned to Malaysia by bus.

The 18-year-old added that he will not visit Singapore for the time being following his experience. 

Read other trending news on SAYS:

You may be interested in: