After weeks of speculation on social media, Sultan Muhammad V announced that he was resigning as the Yang di-Pertuan Agong effective immediately on 6 January
The Comptroller of the Royal Household Wan Ahmad Dahlan Ab Aziz revealed in a statement that Sultan Muhammad V expressed his gratitude towards the other Malay Rulers, Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, and the Federal government.
"To Malaysians, Seri Paduka Baginda Tuanku calls on them to remain as one in maintaining unity, tolerance to uphold their duty to the country so that a sovereign Malaysia will continue to be peaceful and harmonious," the statement read.
Sultan Muhammad V, formerly known as Tengku Muhammad Faris Petra, took his oath of office as the 15th Yang di-Pertuan Agong on 13 December 2016.
Here are five memorable moments from his 750-day reign as King that will go down in history:
1. Following the historic defeat of Barisan Nasional in GE14 last year, Yang di-Pertuan Agong Sultan Muhammad V became the first King to be the head of state of two governments
2. Yang di-Pertuan Agong Sultan Muhammad V granted Anwar Ibrahim a full pardon after GE14
On 16 May 2018, one week after Pakatan Harapan won the 14th General Elections, the politician was released from prison after being granted a full pardon from the King.
The politician was imprisoned for five years in 2015 for sodomising a former aide, a charge which Anwar described was a politically motivated move by former Prime Minister Najib Razak.
3. Concerned with the state of the nation's debt last year, the King showed solidarity with the people by taking a 10% pay cut in salary and emoluments until the end of his reign
"His Majesty was touched and appreciates the efforts of Malaysians who have donated to the Tabung Harapan," Wan Ahmad said in the statement released on 11 June, according to The Star.
He also decreed that instead of hosting the palace's annual Hari Raya Aidilfitri open house at Istana Negara, the budget would instead be allocated for the needy.
4. The Yang di-Pertuan Agong made the Dewan Rakyat roar with laughter after telling Members of Parliament to "please sit down and don't run away"
5. Sultan Muhammad V is the first sitting Agong to abdicate from the throne before the end of his five-year term as Malaysia's Head of State
Sultan Nazrin Shah of Perak will serve as the acting king until the Conference of Rulers decides on the next king: