Sultan Nazrin Shah Is Now Acting Yang di-Pertuan Agong Until A New King Is Elected
Sultan Nazrin Shah of Perak will serve as the acting king following the resignation of Sultan Muhammad V from the post of Yang di-Pertuan Agong
Six of the nine state monarchs were present at the meeting today
The Sultans were:
- Perlis ruler Tuanku Syed Sirajudin Syed Putra Jamalullail,
- Terengganu ruler Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin,
- Yang di-Pertuan Besar Negeri Sembilan Tuanku Muhriz Tuanku Munawir,
- Sultan of Johor Sultan Ibrahim Iskandar,
- Sultan of Perak Sultan Nazrin Muizzudin Shah, and
- Sultan of Kedah Sultan Sallehuddin Shah.
Based on requirements, the Conference of Rulers have to hold an election within four weeks
New Straits Times reported that the provision is dictated by the office of the Keeper of the Royal Seal.
According to Malaysia's constitutional monarchy system, the new Agong will be elected for a five-year term according to the Federal Constitution and regulations of the conference.
Each head of the nine states is given a term as the king according to the length of reign in their respective states. Subsequently, the rulers will be elected based on a rotational system.