New Twist In Cradle CEO Murder Case After Wife And Her Former Hubby Remanded For A Week

Both of them are said to be the suspects in the case.

Cover image via Nazrin Hassan/Facebook

The death of the 45-year-old Group CEO of Cradle Fund, Nazrin Hassan, which was later reclassified as murder by police, has now taken a new twist with the arrest of his wife and her former husband

According to reports, Selangor police first arrested the former husband of Cradle CEO's widow in Sepang at 1am on 4 September. Following which, police then picked up the widow, Samirah Muzaffar, from Taman Tun Dr Ismail at 2.15am the same night.

"She was arrested after a 43-year old man, who is Samirah's ex-husband, was picked up in Sepang at 1am," Selangor Criminal Investigations Department (CID) chief Senior Assistant Commissioner Fadzil Ahmat was quoted as saying by Bernama.

The late Cradle Group CEO with his wife, Samirah.

Image via Nazrin Hassan/Facebook

On Tuesday morning, police obtained a seven-day remand from the Petaling Jaya magistrate's court for Samirah and her ex-husband

Both the suspects produced for remand at the Petaling Jaya magistrate’s court, where Samirah was brought in while clad in a black T-shirt at 11am, reported NST Online.

Samirah, who is a senior executive at the Intellectual Property Corporation of Malaysia (MyIPO), appeared solemn in the remand room.

In August, a forensic investigation report by the Fire and Rescue Department suspected foul play in Nazrin's death. The report revealed that there were traces of petrol found on Nazrin's head, bedframe and mattress, as well as on his handphone.

The report was contrary to what the family had previously claimed, saying his handphone had exploded and killed Nazrin while he was sleeping on his bed.

Cradle, a firm under the Ministry of Finance, had also issued a statement asserting that Nazrin died from blast injuries attributed to an exploding handphone.

However, a week after Nazrin's death, Selangor Fire and Rescue Department director Azmi Osman was reported saying that contrary to the family's claim, his investigators did not conclude or even suggest that an exploding handphone killed Nazrin.

Image via e27

Meanwhile, a week after police reclassified the case as murder, Samirah alleged inconsistencies in the investigation. She accused the authorities of keeping her and her family in the dark.

She had said that the media reports which contained official quotes and statements from the authorities involved in the investigation are inconsistent with the findings of the report on the postmortem examination on Nazrin issued by the Department of Forensic Medicine, Kuala Lumpur Hospital (HKL), on 2 August.

According to Samirah, the postmortem report makes no mention of "traces of petrol on his head" or on any other part of the Cradle Group CEO.

"I have been writing to the Fire and Rescue Department requesting updates but the family and I have been kept mostly in the dark. I have been told by the Fire and Rescue Department that the report by the department cannot be given to me because Nazrin's death is a high profile case," Samirah had said in her statement.

Catch up on the previous reports on the case here:


You may be interested in: