Pangkor Man's Leg Paralysed After Getting Stung By A Golden Fireworm

The 36-year-old initially assumed he had gout.

Cover image via diseasespictures/underpressure-spurdog

A 36-year-old man recently revealed that his left leg was left paralysed after he was stung by a golden fireworm in Pangkor, Perak

Harian Metro reported that Mohd Fadzil Mohd Yunus, who comes from Kampung Durian Hijau, Terachi was working as a tourist guide on the island when the incident occurred in December 2017.

He said that he was waiting for a group of tourists at the beach when something stung his left foot.

A golden fireworm sting may result in this:

Click to Reveal
Another case of a golden fireworm sting.

Another case of a golden fireworm sting.

Image via Coconuts/Facebook

"I immediately looked at the foot and saw a small, white-colored caterpillar," he said.

Although his leg began to feel painful and itchy, Mohd Fadzil brushed it off assuming it was nothing.

However, two months later, his foot swelled up to twice its original size.

A golden fireworm is scientifically known as Chloeia Flava.

Image via Harian Metro

Fireworms are covered in sharp, venomous bristles filled with toxin, which cause a burning sensation when it comes into contact with skin.

If it feels threatened, the worm's bristles will break off, sting, and release the toxins into the punctured skin.

A sting by one of these small worms can last for several days to weeks and often leads to itchiness, inflammation, and swelling.

Thinking that it might have been gout, the tourist guide went to a hospital to get medicated

"I was referred to Seri Manjung Hospital for further treatment and was admitted to a ward for a month. My case was also referred to Armed Forces Hospital (HAT) Lumut," he told the newspaper in a report yesterday, 22 May.

Unfortunately, his case worsened and he requested to get follow-up treatment at Tuanku Ampuan Najihah Hospital (HTAN) Kuala Pilah.

Image for illustration purposes only.

Image via Google Street View/Malay Mail

After undergoing several operations, Mohd Fadzil revealed that his left leg was left completely paralysed with little hope for recovery

Following his unfortunate incident, the man expressed that he hopes to be able to support his 72-year-old mother, Jamiah Idris, as she currently only receives an aid of RM200 monthly by the Social Welfare Department (JKM).

Those who wish to help ease his burden can channel their contributions to:

Mohd Fadzil Mohd Yunus

Bank Simpanan Nasional (BSN)


Catch up on recent trending news on SAYS:

You may be interested in: