After a series of reports revealing the alleged crimes committed by a fake 'Datuk Seri' who is now on the run, the police have clarified that the man is not connected to Macau Scam activities in Malaysia
The suspect, Goh Leong Yeong, is one of many individuals who have been called to the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) headquarters in Putrajaya over the past few weeks to facilitate investigations into Macau Scam activities in the country.
His name and photo were revealed by the Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM) after he escaped the anti-graft building with the help of his two personal bodyguards on 11 October despite being released and granted bail, reported Harian Metro.
Following the news of his escape, the media revealed more about his alleged crimes, describing him as the mastermind of the Macau Scam and online gambling activities in Malaysia.
Utusan Malaysia reported that Goh allegedly made RM1 billion a year from those illegal activities and bribed local key figures up to RM4 million a month to keep his operations hidden. This report was mentioned in a SAYS story on Tuesday, 20 October.
The 32-year-old fugitive is also said to be part of an influential gangster group in Kuala Lumpur and Selangor. The group is allegedly involved in illegal loan shark activities and owns several entertainment centres.
However, the latest statement by the police said that Goh is not involved in the Macau Scam syndicate targeting Malaysians
According to Bernama, Bukit Aman crime investigation department (CID) director Datuk Huzir Mohamed said Goh, along with another person called Addy Kanna, are coordinators and agents who arrange accommodation and call centres equipped with computers and telecommunication equipment.
Their arrangements were catered to China nationals hired by scam cartels in China.
Both of them targeted victims in China and not victims in this country.
"It is inaccurate for certain parties to assume that online scams in this country involve these two individuals because the crimes in this country were committed by other fraud syndicates."
In a report published by The Star yesterday, it is learned that the China nationals also operated forex scams, among other fraudulent activities.
"Both men have nothing to do with scams or Macau Scams in this country," Huzir told the English daily.
As of press time, the police have not clarified other allegations surrounding Goh, such as whether he made RM1 billion a year or that he is part of an influential gangster group
They have assured that they are still in the midst of tracking down Goh.
Huzir also rubbished the claims that the other suspect, Addy Kanna, will be released as he is currently detained under the Prevention of Crime Act (POCA) 1953.
The Bukit Aman CID director was responding to a viral video, which purportedly captured a conversation between an online scammer and a victim.
In the video, the scammer claimed Addy Kanna will be set free because he has connections to political leaders — which Huzir said is untrue.
"We will reveal more facts on the illegal activities of the two men soon to set the record straight and to ensure that Malaysians get the right facts," Huriz said.
He said anyone with information about the case can reach out to Cheras CID chief DSP Ahmad Zamri Jai at +6012-8993622, the investigating officer Insp Muhamad Faizal Asuar at +6017-3126411, or make a report at the nearest police station.
Previously, sources from MACC revealed that Goh made up to RM3 million a day from Macau Scam activities:
According to sources from MACC as well, the investigation into the Macau Scam also found that many local artistes and personalities are involved in high-class prostitution: