Penang-Born Flight Attendant Found Dead In Her Hotel Room In San Francisco

Her colleagues broke into her room after several failed attempts to contact her.

Cover image via Airways Mag/The Straits Times

A Penang-born woman was found dead in her hotel room in San Francisco, California in the US on Tuesday, 31 January (US time)

The deceased has been identified as Vanessa Yeap, who was a leading stewardess with Singapore Airlines (SIA).

She was staying in a hotel in San Francisco with her colleagues and was supposed to board a flight back to Singapore.

Singapore's The Straits Times reported that her colleagues were checking out of the hotel to depart from the city but Yeap, 38, did not appear at the hotel lobby with the rest of them.

They then checked up on her, only to find her lifeless in her own room just a few hours before their scheduled long-haul flight to Singapore

It was reported that Yeap's colleagues made several attempts to contact her earlier but to no avail. That was when they broke into her room and found her dead.

"They tried to resuscitate her but could not revive her," reported The Straits Times.

According to a cabin crew member who did not want to be named, Yeap was on duty for the flight SQ2 when she departed on Saturday from Singapore to San Francisco with a stopover at Hong Kong

Image via Airways Mag

The source, who was not on the same flight, told The Straits Times that Yeap had complained about feeling unwell when cabin crew arrived in San Francisco about two days earlier.

Yeap, who has been a flight attendant with SIA for the past 16 years, was also scheduled to work on flight SQ1 flight out of San Francisco at 1am on 1 February.

Speaking to The Straits Times, SIA also confirmed the matter but was unable to provide additional details on the incident

"We can confirm with regret that one of our female cabin crew was found deceased in her hotel room in San Francisco on 1 February, 2017 (Singapore time)."

"Our immediate priority is to provide the necessary assistance to the family of the crew member. As the case is under the investigation of the local authorities, we are unable to share any further details," it said in a statement.

It is understood that Yeap's elder brother arrived in San Francisco to claim her remains last night, 2 February (Singapore time)

"My loving sister, we love you and cherish you forever. We know you are in good hands with the Lord in heaven now," he said in a loving tribute to his late sister.

Meanwhile, it is learned that Yeap was single, but was planning to get married.

"She was a very nice and pleasant person, always very helpful. She was planning to get married. It was a tragedy, what has happened to her," a colleague who wished to remain anonymous was quoted as saying.

The authorities in San Francisco are still investigating the case.

Read more trending news on SAYS:

You may be interested in: