M'sian Finds 3CM Rusty Wire In Takoyaki Ball While Eating With Her 2-Year-Old Toddler

Wounds caused by rusty objects may result in tetanus.

Cover image via Michelle Wong (Facebook)

Follow us on Instagram, TikTok, and Telegram for the latest stories and breaking news.

A Malaysian family is seeking an explanation from a takoyaki chain stall after a mother was horrified to find a "rusty wire" in her food while dining with her two-year-old daughter

In a Facebook post yesterday, 1 June, Michelle Wong shared that her niece, named Grace, nearly "choked to death" while eating 'Cheese Mentaiko Takoyaki' from the local takoyaki store.

She said Grace ordered eight pieces of takoyaki that cost RM22.03 via a food delivery app at 12.22pm on Thursday.

"When the food delivery arrived, she (Grace) and her two-year-old young daughter nearly got choked to death, as (seen) in the video.

"There was a rusty wire about 3cm in one of the takoyaki. Upon biting, my niece felt something hard and managed to spit it out," wrote Wong in the public Facebook post.

Wong said it was fortunate that her grandniece was safe because she tends to have the habit of putting food directly into her mouth

One of the photos Wong uploaded shows the wire stuck inside a takoyaki.

She also uploaded a photo showing the wire measuring about 3cm when straightened.

The wire is black in colour in most photos.

Speaking to SAYS, Wong said Grace experienced some slight pain in the gums after biting into the wire, but did not suffer any injuries

She also added that the takoyaki chain had reached out to her to explain that the wire was likely from one of their washing equipment, which accidentally went into the food.

"But (the case) wasn't settled amicably as they said they would just issue another set of takoyaki from another outlet (to us)," she said when contacted.

If the wire is rusty as Wong claimed, ingesting it may run the risk of causing mouth lacerations, which could lead to developing tetanus.

Tetanus is an acute infectious disease that is caused by a bacteria called Clostridium tetani, which is often found in rusty tools and soil, among other things.

SAYS has reached out to the takoyaki chain for a statement, but has not received a response at the time of publishing.

Here are other times food safety issues caught the public's attention:

You may be interested in: