What We Know About The 29-Year-Old "Datuk Seri" Who Allegedly Assaulted 3 RELA Members
Last week, it was reported that a 29-year-old "Datuk Seri" allegedly assaulted three RELA personnel after he was reprimanded for obstructing traffic at a temple celebration on Friday, 27 October
According to The Star, RELA members Melvin Cheong Mun Khai,19, Leong Jiun Jie, 21, and Lee Weng Poh, 27, were on duty during a religious ceremony at Kao Ong Yah Temple in Kampung Baru Ampang when the 6.30am incident happened.
It all began when Cheong told the "Datuk Seri" to move his Toyota Vellfire, as it was blocking a road near the temple. Taking it as a sign of disrespect, the man got angry and started to kick and punch Cheong as well as Leong and Lee, both of whom came over to defuse the situation. The Star reported that he also had 20 bodyguards with him.
The incident was recorded by a CCTV in the vicinity. All three RELA members made a police report at the Ampang police station following the assault before heading to a nearby hospital for treatment.
The identity of the "Datuk Seri" remained a mystery until he finally turned himself in on Monday, 30 October at the Ampang Jaya police headquarters. Even then, his name was not officially revealed in news reports until earlier today.
Prior to his arrest, allegations of his identity and achievements have already been circulating on social media. Here's what we know about the mystery "Datuk Seri" so far:
1. He has been identified as Nicky Liow Soon Hee, chairman of Winner Dynasty Group, a company that's supposedly established in the UK
According to a cached version of the company's website, Winner Dynasty Group's businesses cover various products and services including real estate, education, healthcare, jewellery, and tourism.
Liow's identity was confirmed by Selangor CID chief Senior Asst Comm Fadzil Ahmat today, and online sleuths quickly connected him to the company based on the emblem on the white shirt he wore to the Ampang magistrate court for his remand hearing.
2. He apparently became a millionaire when he was just 24 years old and has won several accolades for his entrepreneurial achievements
According to Malaysian Digest, he was awarded the SME Brand Personality Award in 2015. Liow was also recipient in the Emerging Entrepreneur category at the 2016 Asia Pacific Entrepreneur Award for his contributions to the e-commerce industry.
3. Liow uses the honorifics "Dato' Sri" and "Dr" on his business profile
4. He has been spotted in some events with influential figures such as former Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar and Tan Sri Joseph Kurup
5. He is an active philanthropist and has contributed to several charities in the past years. In fact, Winner Dynasty Group made a video detailing his charity work:
6. Back to the case - Liow allegedly offered to give the RELA men he assaulted RM10,000 each if they withdraw their police report
RELA director-general Zulkifli Abidin claimed that the suspect, via a middleman, approached the trio's platoon leader and offered the men RM30,000 to drop their charges against him the day before his arrest. RELA declined.
7. In the latest update for the case, the "Datuk Seri" has tested positive for drugs
NST reported that Deputy IGP Tan Sri Noor Rashid Ibrahim said the "Datuk Seri" was under the influence of drugs when he turned himself in on Monday.
Noor Rashid also said that the suspect has a record of drug offence and that police are still investigating whether he was under influence during the alleged assault last week.
Police are now investigating the man for causing hurt and obstructing public servants from discharging their duties
The case is being investigated under Section 324 and Section 186 of the Penal Code. The suspect will be remanded until Friday.