5 Wholesome Games To Play To Help You Deal With Grief And Loss
While gaming can't be a replacement for professional help, they do help us feel less alone, especially games that explore the theme of mental health
1. Once Again (2022) — An interactive visual novel game where the player creates missed moments with a loved one that transcends time and space
"Which moment would you pay to revisit? How will you say a proper goodbye?" Made by a local game studio, RB Wolf Games, Once Again (2022) follows the story of a teenage boy named Sia, who spends his summers wandering between the past and the present.
Sia meets a mysterious woman and creates a bond with her that transcends time and space. The gameplay is inspired by photography, with mechanics that allow players to simulate photo-taking to unlock memories in the game.
You can buy Once Again for RM17.50 here and watch the trailer below:
2. To the Moon (2011) — Play as two doctors on a mission to fulfil a patient's dying wish
To the Moon (2011) is a story-rich game where the players play as two doctors on a mission to artificially fulfil a patient's dying wish. The doctors travel backwards through the patient's memories and attempt to artificially realise his wish.
As his memories and past unfold, the doctors soon discover why Johnny's final wish is to go to the moon.
You can buy To the Moon for RM23 here and watch the trailer below:
3. Iris and the Giant (2020) — Face your inner demons as Iris explores her imaginary world and fights monsters
Iris and the Giant (2020) is a card-collecting, roleplaying game where players play as Iris who has to face her demons in her imaginary world by fighting monsters and soothing the raging giant inside.
You can buy Iris and the Giant for RM36 here and watch the trailer below:
4. What Remains of Edith Finch (2017) — A walking simulator where the player uncovers a collection of stories of the Finch family
In What Remains of Edith Finch (2017), the players play as Edith who discovers that she's the last person alive in her family. Explore the Finch house, uncover close-kept secrets of her family history, and relive the stories of those long gone.
You can buy What Remains of Edith Finch for RM38 here and watch the trailer below:
5. Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons (2013) — A single-player game following the story of two brothers on a mission to seek a cure for their dying father
In Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons (2013), the player plays as two brothers simultaneously who are trying to find the 'Water of Life' for their dying father. Together, they must survive the harrowing journey and face their fears.
You can buy Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons for RM31 here and watch the trailer below: