23 Nightmarish Things About Piano Classes That Still Haunt Us Today
Cover image via psychologytoday.com
1. You could never have pretty, long fingernails
2. Your teacher would hit your knuckles with a ruler or a pencil or... anything, as long as it hurt
3. You had to miss your favourite TV shows to practise
4. And if you ever practised at 11pm, your mum will emerge from her room to scold you. "Why so late only practise?"
5. "WHY DIDN'T YOU PRACTISE YOUR SCALES?"
6. You were forced to play only classical pieces
7. And it was sad when your other friends could play cool songs by Disney or Britney
The only cool song your teacher allowed you to play was "Canon in D".
8. Your teacher had bizarre ways of teaching you the perfect curve
9. And you had to painfully stretch out your small, underdeveloped hands
10. You had to finish your theory homework on top of all your school homework
The deceiving cover makes you think it's all fun and easy...
11. Year by year, grade by grade, the stress would pile on...
12. You couldn't quit halfway because you weren't grade 8 yet
13. And your parents would keep reminding you how much it costs them every month
14. You drew hundreds and hundreds of "taugehs"
15. You had to perfect the way you drew musical symbols like it was art class
16. The only 'hashtag' you knew back then was the sharp and B major was your first enemy
17. You also had to memorise 1,001 Italian words
Fairly fast? What is that?
18. Sight reading :0
19. Sight singing :'(
20. Piano recital day made you realise how much you were terrified of crowds
21. Piano exam days were just... so, so scary :'(
22. And when you finally receive your exam results...
No distinction again. :(