1. The planning usually starts when someone creates the RSVP list
It's usually the host.
2. There will be at least one person who will take forever to RSVP
3. There's the person who will give a loooooot of suggestions...
4. ... and then FFK in the end
5. Someone will rajin-rajin volunteer to cook one main dish
Ahh, the relief!
6. This person will usually prepare something damn 'chun' that puts everyone else to shame
Roast lamb shoulder with rosemary, thyme, cayenne and a lot of other amazing ingredients we've never even heard of.
7. There's always the person who brings drinks because it's the easiest
They're usually bad at estimating how many bottles are really needed.
8. One guy will buy too many bags of chips
The host will usually have to keep the balance.
9. Someone who can't cook will tapau fried rice on the way
It's the safest thing to bring. Sure can finish!
10. A few people will share money to buy fried chicken. Or pizza. Or any kind of fast food.
"Eh what are you getting for the potluck? Can I 'tumpang'?"
11. Someone will notice "There is no veg. Who can bring the veg?"
The slowest moving dish will always be the salad.
12. "I'll bring potato salad!"
YASSSS! We love you, potato person!
13. Someone will add more carbs to the spread
Fried noodles, of course!
14. Ahh, then there's the 'special' one. They will bring the ice.
This person is SUPER IMPORTANT. It's usually the one who can't cook, can't commit, or can't find time to contribute in any other way, so bringing the ice is the best they can do.
As soon as the person arrives at the party, somebody will shout out loud, "THE ICE IS HERE!", and people will cheer happily, because literally, you can't have a party without the ice. The ice = life of the party.
Now excuse us while we proceed to smash the bags of ice on the floor to break the cubes up.
15. The fella who is "OTW from work" will need to buy something last-minute for everyone since he's not there yet
"Eh, are you on the way? Could you please buy paper cups and more ice?"
16. The dessert person will usually bring the dessert they personally like, so you can only hope it's not dry sponge cake
17. "WAIT, WAIT, WAIT! TAKE PICTURE FIRST!"
The person will be more than happy to stand on a chair to take a good top-down shot of the potluck spread. Then another person will take a picture of this person taking pictures of the food.
18. There will be one DBKL/MBPJ/bottomless pit kind of person who will have to finish all the food
Nevermind if he has high uric acid.
19. By the end of the night, if there are still leftovers, someone will say, "Let's give this to the security guards!"
That's the way! :)