6 Bomba Divers Drowned While Trying To Rescue A Teen In Puchong Mining Pond

All of them were pronounced dead at the scene last night, 3 October.

Cover image via Free Malaysia Today

Six divers drowned while looking for a teenager who fell into a mining pond in Puchong last night, 3 October

According to Free Malaysia Today, the divers were looking for a 17-year-old boy who had fallen into a mining pond in Taman Putra Perdana, Puchong.

The Star reported Selangor Fire and Rescue Department (Bomba) director Azmi Osman as saying that two of the divers were from the Shah Alam Bomba, while the other four were from the Port Klang Bomba.

The divers lost their lives to a strong whirlpool in the mining pond

Strong currents were spotted in the mining pond last night.

Image via Siakap Keli/Facebook

According to Sepang district police chief ACP Abdul Aziz Ali, the men had adhered to standard operating procedures during the search and rescue operation. 

"Suddenly, a strong current occurred in the area causing the victims to spin in the water while all their equipment came off," Abdul Aziz was quoted as saying by Free Malaysia Today

He added that the victims had struggled for about 30 minutes before they were pulled out of the mining pond.

After the six divers were brought to the banks of the pond, attempts to resuscitate them failed

"All six divers were immediately brought out and the medics performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) but it was too late," Azmi was quoted as saying by Malay Mail.

The divers were then pronounced dead at the scene, and their bodies have been sent to the Serdang Hospital for post-mortem examination.

The 17-year-old victim had slipped and fell into the mining pond during a fishing outing with two of his friends

Malaysiakini reported Cyberjaya Bomba's operations commander Roslan Long as saying that an emergency call was received at 5.19pm yesterday, and the search and rescue team arrived at the scene about half an hour later.

The search and rescue operation to save the 17-year-old boy yesterday evening.

Image via Siakap Keli/Facebook

Roslan said the three friends had yet to begin fishing when the boy fell into the pond.

"The two friends then informed the nearby residents to contact the Fire and Rescue Department," Roslan added.

At the time of writing, the boy has yet to be located.

Rest in peace now, heroes.

Image via Buletin TV3

Read other trending news on SAYS: