[VIDEO] At Least 27 Killed & 63 Hospitalised After Horiffic Inferno Rips Through Popular Bangkok Bar

Visitors were seen running to the restrooms for shelter and escape, but there were no functional fire exits in that section.

Enlarge text
Cover ImageCover image via js100Radio (X)

Follow us on InstagramTikTok, and WhatsApp for the latest stories and breaking news.

A devastating fire tore through a crowded bar and restaurant in Bangkok, Thailand, late on Sunday, 12 July, killing at least 27 people and sending 63 others to hospital

The blaze broke out at approximately 11.57pm last night at the Rong Beer Na Lat Phrao, located in the Chatuchak district near Soi Lat Phrao 1 Road, according to The Straits Times.

Thai Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul visited the site shortly after rescue crews recovered the bodies of nine men and 18 women, describing the tragedy as one of the deadliest entertainment venue accidents to strike the tourism hub in recent years.

SAYS.com

Thai Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul (second from right) arriving at the scene.

Image via The Straits Times

Emergency responders and city officials confirmed that 22 of the 63 hospitalised victims remain in critical condition

Among those injured were the establishment's owner and two local musicians performing on stage.

Graphic footage captured at the scene showed terrified patrons fleeing through the front entrance as dense smoke and flames engulfed the building, culminating in an explosion that blew fire through the exit doors. Several individuals emerged from the inferno with severe burns and flaming clothes.

SAYS.com
Image via The Straits Times

Preliminary accounts from survivors and performing band members suggest that the disaster began near the main stage, where smoke reportedly emerged from a circuit breaker shortly before the power cut out entirely.

Trapped in total darkness and choked by heavy fumes, disoriented patrons ran towards the back of the establishment near the restrooms. However, visitors discovered that there were no functional fire exits in that section. Rescuers later found numerous victims trapped in the rear toilets after thick smoke engulfed 100% of the interior space within minutes.

Although firefighters brought the main inferno under control in roughly 30 minutes, the toxic smoke had already caused catastrophic damage

Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation confirmed that rescue teams arrived within five minutes of receiving the alert, but fire had already burned through the structure.

Authorities are evaluating whether the venue's secondary exit, which passed through the kitchen area, met statutory safety regulations. Bangkok Governor Chadchart Sittipunt instructed local offices to establish a coordination centre to assist grieving relatives and verify operating licences.

The video of the disaster can be found below. Viewer discretion is advised:

  
Read more trending stories on SAYS

You may be interested in: