Early Morning Bomb Blast In Bukit Bintang Injures 14

Initial reports say two hand grenades were thrown onto the street in front of the Sun Complex in Jalan Bukit Bintang.

Cover image via

Bukit Bintang Bomb Blast: Triad Kingpin Ah Hai Gives Statement To Police

Police work at the scene of a grenade attack outside a shopping centre at Bukit Bintang in Kuala Lumpur on Oct 9, 2014

Image via

Triad leader “Ah Hai” sought in connection with a recent hand grenade attack in Bukit Bintang, has given a statement to police. Kuala Lumpur Deputy CID chief ACP Khairi Ahrasa said Ah Hai came to Kuala Lumpur Police Headquarters at 9pm yesterday to have his statement recorded.

In fact, he (Ah Hai) was there until 11.45pm. He was not injured," Khairi said in a media statement yesterday. The police had been looking for Ah Hai, a top gangster in Jalan Imbi believed to be the main target of the Bukit Bintang hand grenade attack.

No arrest has been made so far in connection with the grenade attack, he added. SDCP Tajuddin said earlier that Ah Hai was believed to be one of the witnesses who could help police in their investigation and establish the motive for the attack. The attackers are believed to be from a rival gang.

It is learnt that Ah Hai was at the scene at the time of the incident but escaped unhurt when a second hand grenade that was thrown from the second floor of a building failed to explode. The 53-year-old Ah Hai was reported to have led an underworld gang for more than two decades.

He is believed to be from Gang 21, which has been running illegal businesses here including gambling. Sources believe that Ah Hai was trying to legitimise his operations by branching out into businesses such as property development and import of food.

Bukit Bintang Bomb Blast: Victim Tong Kwong Yie's Family Waiting To Claim Remains

The grenade blasts in Malaysia's Bukit Bintang that killed one person and injured many were reportedly targeted at a top gangster involved in a boiling war on online gambling.

Image via

The family of Tong Kwong Yie, 36, who was killed in the hand grenade explosion on Thursday is expected to claim his remains at Kuala Lumpur Hospital (KLH) here Friday. The incident in which 12 others were injured, happened in front of a nightclub at Sun Complex in Bukit Bintang.

Family members of the deceased, a car jockey, were seen waiting at the hospital's National Institute of Forensic Medicine today; Bernama noted that they had been there since 10 am. The post mortem is expected to be completed today but the deceased's next of kin declined to speak to the press. The media were not allowed to enter the mortuary premises and told to wait outside the vicinity.

Kuala Lumpur CID chief SAC Gan Kong Meng said police had not made any arrest or identified any suspects. "Police are conducting a thorough investigation," he told Bernama when contacted. Meanwhile, a KLH spokesman said four other victims comprising a local and three foreigners who were warded at the hospital yesterday have been discharged and treated as outpatients.

Video Of Bukit Bintang Bomb Going Off Goes Viral

Among those injured in the blast were tourists from Singapore, Thailand and China, Berita Harian Malaysia reported.

Image via

Police denied the bomb explosion incident in Bukit Bintang early today was related to the Islamic State (IS) militant activities. Instead, Kuala Lumpur police chief Datuk Tajuddin Md Isa said the explosion was believed to be caused by a fight over a business territory between gangster groups.

"It is still early to say...but we believe that it was related to a fight over a business territory between gangster groups. "However, we can assure that whole area is now safe," he told reporters after visiting the scene here today.

Bukit Bintang Bomb Blast Victim In Critical Condition Succumbs To Injuries

One of the victims involved in the bombing incident at Bukit Bintang has reportedly succumbed to his injuries at the Kuala Lumpur Hospital (HKL). The hospital's emergency and trauma department head Datuk Dr Abu Hassan Asaari Abdullah said, the complete list of victims sent to HKL have yet to be confirmed due to various information that has yet to be obtained.

"A victim who was in critical condition has passed away, we are still in the midst of obtaining more information on the victims here. "We will provide the updated information as soon as we obtain confirmation," he said when contacted here today.

Police Finds Third Bomb From Bukit Bintang Bomb Blast

Certain sections of Bukit Bintang are under heavy police surveillance after a bomb blast at a nightclub early this morning injured 14 people. Late this morning a third bomb was found at an undisclosed location. It is unclear what type of bomb was used in the incident.

Deputy Home Minister Wan Junaidi Assures Swift Police Action

Image via

Meanwhile Home Minister Datuk Seri Zahid Hamidi has urged the public to remain calm until police complete their investigations into the incident. Business rivalry is being looked at as one of the motives for the bombing incident.

Police will take swift action on those involve in the bomb blast in at Sun Complex in Bukit Bintang, said Deputy Home Minister Datuk Dr Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar.

"Have faith that the police will take action. We have yet to have information on the motive behind the explosion or who was behind it. It could be done by locals or immigrants. It could also have been due to business rivalry between the clubs in the area. The possibilities are numerous," he told the Dewan Rakyat during question time Thursday.

Wan Junaidi was answering a supplementary question by Datuk Shamsul Anuar Nasarah (BN - Lenggong) who brought up the incident. This is a worrying incident. As part of the House, we should express our regret and sympathy to those who were hurt in the blast," said Shamsul Anuar.

At Least 14 People Were Injured After A Grenade Exploded At The Sun Complex In Jalan Bukit Bintang Early This Morning, 9 October 2014

Image via

14 people were reportedly injured, with one in critical condition, in a bombing incident that occurred at a building in Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur at approximately 4.30am Thursday.

The injured, eight men and two women, aged between 20 and 42, were sent to Kuala Lumpur Hospital and Tung Shin Hospital. "The injured included nationals from Thailand (1), China (2) and Singapore (2). Some of them were club patrons,” said one of the sources. According to police sources, a car jockey was seriously injured and is currently in critical condition.

The victims have been identified as Lim Soon Hock, 51, Teoh Keow Meng, 40, Yaw Lee Hock, 41, C. Revindran, 49, and Tiong Kwang Yie. The foreign nationals are Jasu (Thailand), Wong Kim Teng (Singapore), Ma Yunfeng and Yong Jiaqin (both China).

Police First Received Calls About The Blast Outside A Pub At About 4.30am

Image via

"Police received a complaint at 4.25am and sent a despatch to the Cherry Blossom nightclub to ascertain the damage.

Initial Reports Found That Two Hand Grenades Were Thrown From The Second Floor Of A Building

Image via

"Initial reports indicate that two hand grenades had been thrown from the second floor of a building." "Initial investigations reveal that two hand grenades were thrown but only one exploded.

One Grenade Exploded From Underneath A Car. Some Of The Victims Were About To Board A Toyota Vellfire When The Explosive Fell Onto Them.

Image via

"Some of the victims were about to board a Toyota Vellfire when an explosive device fell onto them from the second floor of a building.

"Shrapnel from the hand grenade caused injuries to passers-by," the source added.

The Other Grenade Was Found Undetonated Underneath Another Car, A Toyata Camry

It is learnt that the explosion came from underneath a car that was parked in the area. Another unexploded device, also believed to be a grenade, was found underneath another car, a Toyota Camry.

A Total Of Four Cars Were Damaged In The Explosion

Image via

Four vehicles were damaged in the blast – a Toyota Vellfire (WVL 168), Toyota Camry (WTT 8999), Mazda 2 (WXJ 3333) and a BMW (WTV 36).

According To The Police Forensic Team, The Hand Grenades Were Issued In March 1983

A police forensic team is at the scene, combing the area for clues and interviewing witnesses. According to police, checks revealed the hand grenades used had been issued in March 1983.

According to The New Straits Times, policemen have surrounded and cordoned off the area in front of the residential and commercial complex.

Police Believe A Gangland Fighting Could Be Behind The Bomb Blast

City police Criminal Investigation Department deputy chief Assistant Commisioner Khairy Ahrasa said gangland fighting may be behind the bomb blast at the Sun Complex. “Police are still investigating the motive of the incident. We are investigating from all angles”, he told reporters at the crime scene.

Police are believed to be investigating the backgrounds of all those injured in the blast to pinpoint the motive behind the attack.

“The case is being investigated under Section 4 of the Firearms Act and the Penal Code,” he added.

Other Stories:

You may be interested in: