18-Year-Old Who Went Missing While Taking Out The Trash Found Safe After 72 Hours

Yap Yi Wen, who failed to return home at PPR Desa Rejang on 25 November, has been found.

Cover image via Elaine Yap (Facebook) & Elite Group

18-year-old Yap Yi Wen was found safe by her family yesterday evening on 28 November, 72 hours after her disappearance

Before she was discovered, it was reported that Yap mysteriously vanished when she was taking out the garbage last Friday, 25 November.

After stepping out of her family's shophouse in Setapak, Kuala Lumpur, around 8pm, Yap did not return home, inciting fears among her family members that the young woman had been kidnapped.

Her sudden disappearance had prompted her older sister to put up posts about her missing sister in several Setapak community Facebook groups, in the hope that someone may recognise or have seen her. Her family also filed a police report the following day on 26 November.

Yap Yi Wen, 18.

Image via Elaine Yap (Facebook)

Previously, Yap's last known whereabouts were PPR Desa Rejang, the flat where the family's shophouse is located

According to her sister, Elaine Yap, in an interview with Kwong Wah Daily, the young woman had a naturally cheerful and friendly disposition, even towards strangers, fuelling her family's fears that she may have been abducted.

PPR Desa Rejang, Setapak Jaya, Kuala Lumpur.

Image via Elite Group

Elaine denied rumours that Yap went missing to escape abuse from her family or to elope with a boyfriend

The sister claimed that her family was never violent towards Yap, nor did she have a boyfriend.

To support this, Yap's valuables, such as her phone, wallet, and identity card, were not with her at the time of her disappearance.

Fortunately, Yap was found by her family yesterday evening on 28 November, 72 hours after her disappearance. Elaine told Oriental Daily that her sister was unharmed, and that they have brought her home safe and sound.

She also said that after a series of investigations, authorities uncovered that Yap was taken away by a middle-aged man.

"It is inconvenient for us to disclose more details. The case has been handed over to the police for investigation," Elaine added.

Check out more of the latest news here:

You may be interested in: