Ipoh's Nasi Ganja Stall Owner Says A KL Datuk Had Placed The Order Picked Up By Helicopter

The incident is now being probed to see if the standard operating procedures (SOPs) related to the prohibition of interstate and inter-district travel amidst the National Recovery Plan (NRP) were violated.

Cover image via Utusan Malaysia & Farhan Najib/Malay Mail

Subscribe to our Telegram channel for our latest stories and breaking news.

On Friday morning, 23 July, a helicopter from Kuala Lumpur landed at Padang Ipoh to pick up 36 packets of nasi kandar meals.

The dish is famously called 'nasi ganja'.

While the helicopter had prior permission to land at the Sultan Azlan Shah Airport (LTSAS), it landed some 6km away at Padang Ipoh

Perak police chief Datuk Mior Faridalathrash Wahid told New Straits Times that the helicopter landed there between 9.55am and 10.15am to pick up the order containing 36 packs of 'nasi ganja'.

"The helicopter didn't get permission to land at Padang Ipoh," he was quoted as saying, adding that they have since informed the Ipoh Civil Aviation Authority of Malaysia (CAAM) about the matter.

The Bell 505 helicopter was operated by Systematic Aviation Services Sdn Bhd (SAS).

The company is based in Kuala Lumpur and provides helicopters as well as fixed-wing aircraft services.

So who was in the helicopter who flew in amidst the interstate and inter-district travel ban during the National Recovery Plan (NRP)?

Nobody knows.

According to the popular Nasi Kandar Ayam Merah Ipoh stall owner Mohamed Nihmathullah Syed Mustafa, the man who received the meals was wearing a hat, sunglasses, and had a facemask.

"All we know is that it was a Datuk who ordered," Nihmatullah told Free Malaysia Today.

In fact, when the order was placed a day before he thought it must be a joke.

"I laughed out loud when they said they were coming by helicopter to pick up the food. I thought they were bluffing," he said, adding that when they actually called them to the Ipoh Padang, they were shocked.

"The man paid RM360 for the meals and left. My son-in-law and I were shocked to see all this. In less than five minutes, the helicopter left," the bilingual news portal quoted him as saying.

Image via Utusan Malaysia

The incident is now being probed with investigations being carried out against the individual from Kuala Lumpur and helicopter company

Faridalathrash said that they will investigate the case for a possible breach of interstate or inter-district travel ban under the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Regulations (Act 342).

Currently, interstate travel is banned except for emergency cases under the NRP.

Meanwhile, Bernama reported that CAAM has also started an investigation to determine whether the helicopter that landed at the Ipoh Padang to pick up the order violated any regulations.

The helicopter returned to the Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport in Subang, Selangor at 11:02am.

A file photo of Perak police chief Datuk Mior Faridalathrash Wahid.

Image via Farhan Najib/Malay Malay

Remember to limit your movement and keep practising physical distancing. Watch the latest update on the COVID-19 situation:

Read more COVID-19 news on SAYS:

You may be interested in: